Obtaining Fast Service in a Queueing System via Performance-Based Allocation of Demand
Any buyer that depends on suppliers for the delivery of a service or the production of a make-to-order component should pay close attention to the suppliers' service or delivery lead times. This paper studies a queueing model in which two strategic servers choose their capacities/processing rates and faster service is costly. The buyer allocates demand to the servers based on their performance; the faster a server works, the more demand the server is allocated. The buyer's objective is to minimize the average lead time received from the servers. There are two important attributes to consider in the design of an allocation policy: the degree to which the allocation policy effectively utilizes the servers' capacities and the strength of the incentives the allocation policy provides for the servers to work quickly. Previous research suggests that there exists a trade-off between efficiency and incentives, i.e., in the choice between two allocation policies a buyer may prefer the less efficient one because it provides stronger incentives. We find considerable variation in the performance of allocation policies: Some intuitively reasonable policies generate essentially no competition among servers to work quickly, whereas others generate too much competition, thereby causing some servers to refuse to work with the buyer. Nevertheless, the trade-off between efficiency and incentives need not exist: It is possible to design an allocation policy that is efficient and also induces the servers to work quickly. We conclude that performance-based allocation can be an effective procurement strategy for a buyer as long as the buyer explicitly accounts for the servers' strategic behavior.
Volume (Year): 53 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gérard P. Cachon & Patrick T. Harker, 2002. "Competition and Outsourcing with Scale Economies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(10), pages 1314-1333, October.
- Fernando Bernstein & Gregory A. DeCroix, 2004. "Decentralized Pricing and Capacity Decisions in a Multitier System with Modular Assembly," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(9), pages 1293-1308, September.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Paul H. Zipkin, 1999. "Competitive and Cooperative Inventory Policies in a Two-Stage Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(7), pages 936-953, July.
- Duane Christ & Benjamin Avi-Itzhak, 2002. "Strategic Equilibrium for a Pair of Competing Servers with Convex Cost and Balking," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(6), pages 813-820, June.
- Lode Li, 1992. "The Role of Inventory in Delivery-Time Competition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(2), pages 182-197, February.
- Sudhindra Seshadri & Kalyan Chatterjee & Gary L. Lilien, 1991. "Multiple Source Procurement Competitions," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 246-263.
- Stephen M. Gilbert & Z. Kevin Weng, 1998. "Incentive Effects Favor Nonconsolidating Queues in a Service System: The Principal--Agent Perspective," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-1), pages 1662-1669, December.
- Chung-Lun Li & Panos Kouvelis, 1999. "Flexible and Risk-Sharing Supply Contracts Under Price Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(10), pages 1378-1398, October.
- Talluri, Srinivas, 2002. "A buyer-seller game model for selection and negotiation of purchasing bids," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 171-180, November.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Fuqiang Zhang, 2006. "Procuring Fast Delivery: Sole Sourcing with Information Asymmetry," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(6), pages 881-896, June.
- Jérémie Gallien & Lawrence M. Wein, 2005. "A Smart Market for Industrial Procurement with Capacity Constraints," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(1), pages 76-91, January.
- Ravi Anupindi & Ram Akella, 1993. "Diversification Under Supply Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(8), pages 944-963, August.
- Mor Armony & Erica L. Plambeck, 2005. "The Impact of Duplicate Orders on Demand Estimation and Capacity Investment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(10), pages 1505-1518, October.
- James J. Anton & Dennis A. Yao, 1992. "Coordination in Split Award Auctions," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 681-707.
- Sedarage, Dayani & Fujiwara, Okitsugu & Trung Luong, Huynh, 1999. "Determining optimal order splitting and reorder level for N-supplier inventory systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 389-404, July.
- Naor, P, 1969. "The Regulation of Queue Size by Levying Tolls," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(1), pages 15-24, January.
- Kut C. So, 2000. "Price and Time Competition for Service Delivery," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 2(4), pages 392-409, April.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Martin A. Lariviere, 1999. "Capacity Allocation Using Past Sales: When to Turn-and-Earn," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(5), pages 685-703, May.
- Colin E. Bell & Shaler Stidham, Jr., 1983. "Individual versus Social Optimization in the Allocation of Customers to Alternative Servers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(7), pages 831-839, July.
- Jewel S. Bonser & S. David Wu, 2001. "Procurement Planning to Maintain Both Short-Term Adaptiveness and Long-Term Perspective," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(6), pages 769-786, June.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Martin A. Lariviere, 1999. "Capacity Choice and Allocation: Strategic Behavior and Supply Chain Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(8), pages 1091-1108, August.
- Ehud Kalai & Morton I. Kamien & Michael Rubinovitch, 1992. "Optimal Service Speeds in a Competitive Environment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(8), pages 1154-1163, August.
- Saif Benjaafar & Ehsan Elahi & Karen L. Donohue, 2007. "Outsourcing via Service Competition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(2), pages 241-259, February.
- Albert Y. Ha & Lode Li & Shu-Ming Ng, 2003. "Price and Delivery Logistics Competition in a Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(9), pages 1139-1153, September.
- Minner, Stefan, 2003. "Multiple-supplier inventory models in supply chain management: A review," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 265-279, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:53:y:2007:i:3:p:408-420. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.