Improved Rolling Schedules for the Dynamic Single-Level Lot-Sizing Problem
A major argument for favoring simple lot-sizing heuristics---like the Silver/Meal or Groff's heuristic---to solve instances of the dynamic single-level uncapacitated lot-sizing problem (SLLSP) instead of exact algorithms---like those of Wagner/Whitin or Federgruen/Tzur---is that exact algorithms applied in a rolling horizon environment are heuristics too and may be outperformed by simple heuristics. This article shows how to modify the model of the SLLSP by looking beyond the planning horizon. Extensive tests within a rolling horizon environment have demonstrated that the modified model solved by an exact algorithm now performs at least as well as well-known heuristics and is fairly insensitive to the length of the planning horizon. Furthermore, our principal idea of improving rolling schedules by considering only a portion of the fixed cost related to a decision with an impact on periods beyond the planning horizon is applicable to a wide range of decision models.
Volume (Year): 46 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Russell, R. A. & Urban, T. L., 1993. "Horizon extension for rolling production schedules: Length and accuracy requirements," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 111-122, February.
- Kenneth R. Baker & David W. Peterson, 1979. "An Analytic Framework for Evaluating Rolling Schedules," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(4), pages 341-351, April.
- Harvey M. Wagner & Thomson M. Whitin, 1958. "Dynamic Version of the Economic Lot Size Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 5(1), pages 89-96, October.
- Stadtler, Hartmut, 1997. "Reformulations of the shortest route model for dynamic multi-item multi-level capacitated lotsizing," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 7096, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- Suresh Chand & Suresh P. Sethi & Gerhard Sorger, 1992. "Forecast Horizons in the Discounted Dynamic Lot Size Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(7), pages 1034-1048, July.
- John O. McClain & Joseph Thomas, 1977. "Horizon Effects in Aggregate Production Planning with Seasonal Demand," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(7), pages 728-736, March.
- Awi Federgruen & Michal Tzur, 1991. "A Simple Forward Algorithm to Solve General Dynamic Lot Sizing Models with n Periods in 0(n log n) or 0(n) Time," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(8), pages 909-925, August.
- Tempelmeier, Horst & Helber, Stefan, 1994. "A heuristic for dynamic multi-item multi-level capacitated lotsizing for general product structures," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 296-311, June.