Change In Economic Structure, Expansion Of University Training And Development Of Non-Wage Employment
The present paper investigates the development of nonwage employment (NWE) in the context of sensible changes in economic structure, by increasing the relative importance of the services’ sector and labour force supply due to an expansion of higher education. We identify factors which favour the expansion of NWE in the context of transition to knowledge-based economy in the countries with solid market economy. A comparative analysis is made about the relative importance of employment in European Union member countries and a series of correlations performed with other structural indicators of the labour force market. On this basis, the conclusion is that the NWE physiognomy is dependent to a significant extent on the development degree and sectoral structure of the economy in various countries. The analysis of the NWE development is deepened in the case of Romania by paying special attention to the case of higher educated individuals. It is found that the increases in the number of self-employed persons with higher education is mainly a forced choice for avoiding entering unemployment and only at secondary level the expression of a new type of entrepreneurial spirit, as in the case of countries with consolidated market economy.
Volume (Year): 35 (2012(XXII))
Issue (Month): 2(44) (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13 Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172|
Phone: 004 021 318.24.67
Fax: 004 021 318.24.67
Web page: http://www.ien.ro/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Fritsch & Alina Rusakova, 2010.
"Personality Traits, Self-Employment, and Professions,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
343, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Michael Fritsch & Alina Rusakova, 2010. "Personality Traits, Self-Employment, and Professions," Jena Economic Research Papers 2010-075, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Ferrante, Francesco & Sabatini, Fabio, 2007. "Education, social capital and entrepreneurial selection in Italy," MPRA Paper 2451, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carl Magnus Bjuggren & Dan Johansson & Mikael Stenkula, 2012. "Using self-employment as proxy for entrepreneurship: some empirical caveats," International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 17(3), pages 290-303.
- Bjuggren, Carl Magnus & Johansson, Dan & Stenkula, Mikael, 2010. "Using Self-employment as Proxy for Entrepreneurship: Some Empirical Caveats," Ratio Working Papers 154, The Ratio Institute.
- Bjuggren, Carl Magnus & Johansson, Dan & Stenkula, Mikael, 2010. "Using Self-employment as Proxy for Entrepreneurship: Some Empirical Caveats," Working Paper Series 845, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- José Millán & Emilio Congregado & Concepción Román, 2012. "Determinants of self-employment survival in Europe," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 231-258, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ine:journl:v:2:y:2012:i:44:p:45-74. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valentina Vasile)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.