Limits to international arbitrage: an empirical evaluation
This paper studies international financial integration by testing the law of one price across national borders. We use the distance between national discount factors as an integration measure and analyze the level of cross-border mispricing. The empirical analysis shows that pricing differentials are relatively large in economic terms. This lack of international financial integration is subsequently analyzed in the market micro-finance literature. We find that market characteristics explain a considerable part of the variance in our cross-section of pricing differentials. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 12 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://jws-edcv.wiley.com/jcatalog/JournalsCatalogOrder/JournalOrder?PRINT_ISSN=1076-9307|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1994.
"Assessing Specification Errors in Stochastic Discount Factor Models,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0153, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Jagannathan, Ravi, 1997. " Assessing Specification Errors in Stochastic Discount Factor Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 557-90, June.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1994. "Assessing specification errors in stochastic discount factor models," Staff Report 167, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Dabora, Emil M., 1999.
"How are stock prices affected by the location of trade?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 189-216, August.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Emil Dabora, 1998. "How are Stock Prices Affected by the Location of Trade?," NBER Working Papers 6572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gikas A. Hardouvelis & Rafael La Porta & Thierry A. Wizman, 1993.
"What moves the discount on country equity funds?,"
9324, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- David K. Backus, 2001. "Affine Term Structure Models and the Forward Premium Anomaly," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 279-304, 02.
- Keim, Donald B & Madhaven, Ananth, 1996. "The Upstairs Market for Large-Block Transactions: Analysis and Measurement of Price Effects," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 1-36.
- Owen A. Lamont & Richard H. Thaler, 2003.
"Can the Market Add and Subtract? Mispricing in Tech Stock Carve-outs,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(2), pages 227-268, April.
- Owen A. Lamont & Richard H. Thaler, 2001. "Can the Market Add and Subtract? Mispricing in Tech Stock Carve-Outs," NBER Working Papers 8302, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Owen A. Lamont & Richard H. Thaler, . "Can the Market Add and Subtract? Mispricing in Tech Stock Carve-outs," CRSP working papers 528, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Ivo Welch, 2000.
"Views of Financial Economists on the Equity Premium and on Professional Controversies,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm122, Yale School of Management.
- Welch, Ivo, 2000. "Views of Financial Economists on the Equity Premium and on Professional Controversies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(4), pages 501-37, October.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Andrei Shleifer ad Robert W. Vishny, 1995.
"The Limits of Arbitrage,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1725, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Chen, Zhiwu & Knez, Peter J, 1995. "Measurement of Market Integration and Arbitrage," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(2), pages 287-325.
- Madhavan, Ananth, 2000. "Market microstructure: A survey," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 205-258, August.
- Brandt, Michael W. & Santa-Clara, Pedro, 2002. "Simulated likelihood estimation of diffusions with an application to exchange rate dynamics in incomplete markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 161-210, February.
- Bodurtha, James N, Jr & Kim, Dong-Soon & Lee, Charles M C, 1995. "Closed-End Country Funds and U.S. Market Sentiment," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(3), pages 879-918.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijf:ijfiec:v:12:y:2007:i:3:p:273-285. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.