Output Subsidies and Quotas under Uncertainty and Firm Heterogeneity
This paper studies the relative efficiency of two kinds of regulations, quantity restrictions (quotas) and output subsidies, in an imperfectly competitive market in the presence of two sources of uncertainty, costs and prices. We find that when these two sources of uncertainty are independently distributed, the output subsidy instrument has a comparative advantage over the quantity instrument. However, when we take into account the possibility of correlation between the random components and across firms' marginal costs, we find that a positive (negative) correlation tends to favor the quantity (subsidy) instrument. Finally, we show that when the correlation is positive, it is possible to find situations in which the quantity instrument has comparative advantages over the subsidy instrument.
Volume (Year): 6 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ijbe.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stavins, Robert N., 1996. "Correlated Uncertainty and Policy Instrument Choice," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 218-232, March.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 1974.
"Prices vs. Quantities,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(4), pages 477-91, October.
- Russell Cooper & Raymond Riezman, 2013.
"Uncertainty and the Choice of Trade Policy in Oligopolistic Industries,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: International Trade Agreements and Political Economy, chapter 16, pages 287-298
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Cooper, Russell & Riezman, Raymond, 1989. "Uncertainty and the Choice of Trade Policy in Oligopolistic Industrie s," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 129-40, January.
- Blair, Benjamin F. & Lewis, Tracy R. & Sappington, David E. M., 1995. "Simple regulatory policies in the presence of demand and cost uncertainty," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 57-73, April.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1985.
"Export subsidies and international market share rivalry,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 83-100, February.
- James A. Brander & Barbara J. Spencer, 1984. "Export Subsidies and International Market Share Rivalry," NBER Working Papers 1464, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arvan, Lanny, 1991. "Flexibility versus commitment in strategic trade policy under uncertainty : A model of endogenous policy leadership," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3-4), pages 341-355, November.
- Choi, Eun Kwan & Johnson, Stanley R, 1987.
"Consumer's Surplus and Price Uncertainty,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(2), pages 407-11, June.
- Hoel, Michael & Karp, Larry, 2000.
"Taxes and Quotas for a Stock Pollutant with Multiplicative Uncertainty,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt9v86p5s7, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Hoel, Michael & Karp, Larry, 2001. "Taxes and quotas for a stock pollutant with multiplicative uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 91-114, October.
- Michael Hoel & Larry Karp, 1999. "Taxes and Quotas for a Stock Pollutant with Multiplicative Uncertainty," Working Papers 1999.15, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Wu, Junjie, 2000. " Input Substitution and Pollution Control Under Uncertainty and Firm Heterogeneity," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 2(2), pages 273-88.
- Hwang, Hae-Shin & Schulman, Craig T., 1993. "Strategic non-intervention and the choice of trade policy for international oligopoly," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 73-93, February.
- Malcomson, James M, 1978. "Prices vs. Quantities: A Critical Note on the Use of Approximations," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 203-07, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijb:journl:v:6:y:2007:i:2:p:147-160. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.