An Extended Model of Serial Covariance Bid-Ask Spreads
This paper presents a generalized serial covariance spread pricing model that unifies and improves existing spread models. We analyze three cost components of spread: order processing, adverse information, and inventory holding costs. We modify Stoll's (1989) model by incorporating a two-period conditional probability trading model to derive a new spread estimator. We propose a methodology to estimate the input parameters. We then show this extended model potentially avoids some of the limitations associated with earlier models.
Volume (Year): 2 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ijbe.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Charles M C & Ready, Mark J, 1991. " Inferring Trade Direction from Intraday Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 733-46, June.
- Stoll, Hans R, 1989. " Inferring the Components of the Bid-Ask Spread: Theory and Empirical Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 115-34, March.
- Aitken, Michael & Frino, Alex, 1996. "The accuracy of the tick test: Evidence from the Australian stock exchange," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(10), pages 1715-1729, December.
- Choi, J. Y. & Salandro, Dan & Shastri, Kuldeep, 1988. "On the Estimation of Bid-Ask Spreads: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(02), pages 219-230, June.
- Brooks, Raymond & Masson, Jean, 1996. "Performance of Stoll's Spread Component Estimator: Evidence from Simulations, Time-Series, and Cross-Sectional Data," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 19(4), pages 459-76, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijb:journl:v:2:y:2003:i:1:p:75-83. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.