The Use of Derivatives as a Risk Management Instrument: Evidence from Indonesian Non-Financial Firms
This paper provides empirical evidence of firm-specific factors determining the decision to use derivatives and the level of usage for the case of Indonesia. The findings show that the participation rate in the use of derivatives is 15.8%, much lower compared to those found in developed countries. Using Probit and Tobit regression models, the results indicate that the use of derivatives is positively associated with firm size, market-to-book value, bank-firm relationship, and the involvement of the firm in foreign business activity, but negatively linked to liquidity.
Volume (Year): 11 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 100 Wenhwa Road, Seatwen, Taichung|
Web page: http://www.ijbe.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guay, Wayne & Kothari, S. P, 2003. "How much do firms hedge with derivatives?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 423-461, December.
- Brown, Gregory W., 2001. "Managing foreign exchange risk with derivatives," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 401-448, May.
- Karen Benson & Barry Oliver, 2004. "Management Motivation for Using Financial Derivatives in Australia," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 29(2), pages 225-242, December.
- Elyasiani, Elyas & Goldberg, Lawrence G., 2004. "Relationship lending: a survey of the literature," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 315-330.
- G. David Haushalter, 2000. "Financing Policy, Basis Risk, and Corporate Hedging: Evidence from Oil and Gas Producers," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 107-152, 02.
- Bodnar, Gordon M. & Gentry, William M., 1993. "Exchange rate exposure and industry characteristics: evidence from Canada, Japan, and the USA," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 29-45, February.
- Eric Helland & Michael Sykuta, 2005. "Who's Monitoring the Monitor? Do Outside Directors Protect Shareholders' Interests?," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 40(2), pages 155-172, 05.
- Tadanori Yosano & I Wayan Nuka Lantara, 2010. "Bank-firm relationship and the use of derivatives in japan," Discussion Papers 2010-58, Kobe University, Graduate School of Business Administration.
- Tufano, Peter, 1996. " Who Manages Risk? An Empirical Examination of Risk Management Practices in the Gold Mining Industry," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1097-1137, September.
- Byrd, John W. & Hickman, Kent A., 1992. "Do outside directors monitor managers? *1: Evidence from tender offer bids," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 195-221, October.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Scharfstein, David S & Stein, Jeremy C, 1993.
" Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1629-1658, December.
- Kenneth A. Froot & David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 1992. "Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies," NBER Working Papers 4084, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Atsushi Takao & I Wayan Nuka Lantara, 2009. "The Determinants Of The Use Of Derivatives In Japanese Insurance Companies," Discussion Papers 2009-38, Kobe University, Graduate School of Business Administration.
- Andrew K. Prevost & Lawrence C. Rose & Gary Miller, 2000. "Derivatives Usage and Financial Risk Management in Large and Small Economies: A Comparative Analysis," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(5&6), pages 733-759.
- Hakenes, Hendrik, 2004. "Banks as delegated risk managers," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2399-2426, October.
- Hakenes, Hendrik, 2003. "Banks as Delegated Risk Managers," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 03-13, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Hoa Nguyen & Robert Faff, 2003. "Further Evidence on the Corporate Use of Derivatives in Australia: The Case of Foreign Currency and Interest Rate Instruments," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 28(3), pages 307-317, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijb:journl:v:11:y:2012:i:1:p:45-62. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.