Company Taxes in the European Union: Criteria and Options for Reform
In 1992, the Ruding Committee, appointed by the European Commission to examine the need for company tax (CT) harmonisation in the European Union (EU), presented its findings and recommendations.2 Although the Committee concluded that differences in CTs distort the workings of the internal market — differences which most likely would not be eliminated by market forces or tax competition — it none the less proposed to leave the CTs in the EU essentially the same as it had found them, replete with their widely diverging domestic and cross-border treatment of different kinds of returns and different kinds of recipients of the various returns. As argued below, however, differential treatment will perpetuate the distortions inherent to the current CTs and erode the taxing authority of source states. A minimum statutory CT rate of 30 per cent, proposed by the Ruding Committee, and the adoption of the (draft)
Volume (Year): 17 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://www.ifs.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Keen, 1993. "The welfare economics of tax co-ordination in the European Community : a survey," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 15-36, February.
- George Kopits, 1992. "Tax harmonization in the European Community; Policy Issues and Analysis," IMF Occasional Papers 94, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael Devereux, 1992. "The Ruding Committee report : an economic assessment," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 13(2), pages 96-107, May.
- David Bradford, 1991. "Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 5," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number brad91-1, September.
- Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1989.
"International Tax Competition and Gains from Tax Harmonization,"
NBER Working Papers
3152, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 1991. "International tax competition and gains from tax harmonization," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 69-76, September.
- Atkinson, A B & Sandmo, A, 1980. "Welfare Implications of the Taxation of Savings," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(359), pages 529-49, September.
- Boadway, Robin & Bruce, Neil, 1984.
"A general proposition on the design of a neutral business tax,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 231-239, July.
- Robin Boadway & Neil Bruce, 1982. "A General Proposition on the Design of a Neutral Business Tax," Working Papers 461, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Smith, Stephen, 1993. "'Subsidiarity' and the Co-ordination of Indirect Taxes in the European Community," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 67-94, Spring.
- McLure, Charles E. Jr., 1992. "Substituting Consumption-Based Direct Taxation for Income Taxes as the International Norm," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 45(2), pages 145-54, June.
- Roger H. Gordon & Laura Kalambokidis & Joel Slemrod, 2003.
"Do We Now Collect Any Revenue From Taxing Capital Income?,"
NBER Working Papers
9477, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon, Roger & Kalambokidis, Laura & Slemrod, Joel, 2004. "Do we now collect any revenue from taxing capital income?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(5), pages 981-1009, April.
- Huizinga, H.P., 1994.
"International interest withholding taxation : Prospects for a common European policy,"
Other publications TiSEM
3d92ccee-19e6-4a36-8a00-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Harry Huizinga, 1994. "International interest withholding taxation: Prospects for a common European policy," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 1(3), pages 277-291, October.
- Cnossen, Sijbren, 1990. "The case for tax diversity in the European community," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(2-3), pages 471-479, May.
- Williams, Joseph, 1988. " Efficient Signalling with Dividends, Investment, and Stock Repurchase s," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(3), pages 737-47, July.
- James M. Poterba, 1987.
"Tax Policy and Corporate Saving,"
470, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bonds, Stephen R. & Devereux, Michael P., 1995.
"On the design of a neutral business tax under uncertainty,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 57-71, September.
- Steve Bond & Michael Devereux, 1993. "On the design of a neutral business tax under uncertainty," IFS Working Papers W93/01, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Lockwood, Ben & Manning, Alan, 1993. "Wage setting and the tax system theory and evidence for the United Kingdom," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-29, August.
- Roger H. Gordon & Joel Slemrod, 1988. "Do We Collect Any Revenue from Taxing Capital Income?," NBER Chapters, in: Tax Policy and the Economy: Volume 2, pages 89-130 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jack Mintz, 1995. "Corporation tax: a survey," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 16(4), pages 23-68, November.
- Gerardi, Geraldine & Graetz, Michael J. & Rosen, Harvey S., 1990. "Corporate Integration Puzzles," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 43(3), pages 307-14, September.
- Daly, Michael & Weiner, Joann M., 1993. "Corporate Tax Harmonization and Competition in Federal Countries: Some Lessons for the European Community?," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 46(4), pages 441-61, December.
- Michael Devereux, 1992. "The harmonisation of corporate income taxes in Europe: the Ruding Committee Report," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 13(2), pages 108-121, May.
- Jeffrey Owens, 1993. "Globalisation: the implications for tax policies," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 14(3), pages 21-44, August.
- Christian Schutte & Parthasarathi Shome, 1993. "Cash-Flow Tax," IMF Working Papers 93/2, International Monetary Fund.
- Easterbrook, Frank H, 1984. "Two Agency-Cost Explanations of Dividends," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(4), pages 650-59, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ifs:fistud:v:17:y:1996:i:4:p:67-97. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emma Hyman)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.