Measuring export support performance in Slovenia
Export support represents one of the many activities in the framework of commercial diplomacy. It has been used by governments for decades in order to boost exports and, consequently, economic growth. However, is governmental involvement in supporting exporters justified? Despite some differing opinions between commentators, many countries have been practising this kind of support extensively, and attempts have been made to measure the outputs of these activities. In this paper, we argue that measuring the direct effects of export support activities can be difficult, and that the results could be distorted for several reasons. We therefore suggest that focus should instead be devoted to the performance of this kind of support. In this light, a new methodology for measuring export support performance is presented, which has been developed to track results in Slovenia - a small and open economy in Central Europe.
Volume (Year): 1 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID==394|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yakop, M. & van Bergeijk, P.A.G., 2009. "The weight of economic and commercial diplomacy," ISS Working Papers - General Series 18715, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Huub Ruel & Robin Visser, 2012. "Commercial diplomats as corporate entrepreneurs: explaining role behaviour from an institutional perspective," International Journal of Diplomacy and Economy, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(1), pages 42-79.
- Peter A.G. van Bergeijk, 2009. "Economic Diplomacy and the Geography of International Trade," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 13518.
- Gorazd Justinek, 2011. "Evaluation of the Economic Diplomacy model in the Republic of Slovenia," International Journal of Trade and Global Markets, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(4), pages 405-419.
- Wilkinson, Timothy & Brouthers, Lance Eliot, 2006. "Trade promotion and SME export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 233-252, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ids:ijdipe:v:1:y:2012:i:1:p:80-94. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Darren Simpson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.