Impact of Monetary Policy on Industrial Growth in Nigeria
The study empirically examines the impact of monetary policy on industrial growth in Nigerian economy, in line with the objectives of this study, secondary data were obtained from central bank of Nigeria statistical bulletin covering the period of 1970 to 2010. In concluding the analysis, multiple regressions were employed to analyze data on such variables, manufacturing output, Treasury Bills, Deposit & leading and Rediscount Rate for Nigeria over the period 1970 to 2010 were all found have significant effects on the industrial Growth with the Adjusted R2 of 0.8156 (81.56%). Following the outcome of this study, it is therefore concluded that Rediscount Rate, and Deposit have significant positive effect on industrial output but Treasury Bills has the negative impact on industrial output. All the variables are statistically significant. It is order to improve economic growth; it is recommended that government should develop the industrial sectors of the economy through its capital expenditure. With this, capital expenditure on produtives activities and social overheads capital will contribute positively to industrial growth which will invariably enhance economic growth.
Volume (Year): 4 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hrmars.com/index.php/pages/detail/IJARBSS|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1993.
"Monetary Policy, Business Cycles and the Behavior of Small Manufacturing Firms,"
93-02, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1994. "Monetary Policy, Business Cycles, and the Behavior of Small Manufacturing Firms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(2), pages 309-340.
- Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1992. "Monetary Policy, Business Cycles and the Behavior of Small Manufacturing Firms," Working Papers 92-08, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1993. "Monetary policy, business cycles and the behavior of small manufacturing firms," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 93-4, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1991. "Monetary Policy, Business Cycles and the Behavior of Small Manufacturing Firms," NBER Working Papers 3892, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dedola, L. & Lippi, F., 2000.
"The Monetary Transmission Mechanism: Evidence from the Industries of Five OECD Countries,"
389, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Dedola, Luca & Lippi, Francesco, 2005. "The monetary transmission mechanism: Evidence from the industries of five OECD countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 1543-1569, August.
- Luca Dedola & Francesco Lippi, 2000. "The Monetary Transmission Mechanism: Evidence from the Industry Data of Five OECD Countries," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1833, Econometric Society.
- Luca Dedola & Francesco Lippi, 2000. "The monetary transmission mechanism; evidence from the industries of five OECD countries," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 389, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Dedola, Luca & Lippi, Francesco, 2000. "The Monetary Transmission Mechanism: Evidence from the Industries of Five OECD Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 2508, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joe Ganley & Chris Salmon, 1997. "The Industrial Impact of Monetary Policy Shocks: Some Stylised Facts," Bank of England working papers 68, Bank of England.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1972. "Expectations and the neutrality of money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 103-124, April.
- Swanson, Norman R., 1998. "Money and output viewed through a rolling window," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 455-474, May.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1995. "Symposium on the Monetary Transmission Mechanism," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 3-10, Fall.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hur:ijarbs:v:4:y:2014:i:1:p:18-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hassan Danial Aslam)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.