A Model and its Solution Method for a Two-Item Newsvendor Supply Chain with Return Policy and Demand Leakage
We study a one-manufacturer and one-retailer type of supply chain that the manufacturer manufactures two newsvendor-type items and offers a buy-back contractual commitment to the retailer who sells the items in a stochastic demand market with various prices, allowing demand leakage from high-priced item to low-priced one. The objective of this study is to coordinate the chain by jointly determining wholesale prices, buy-back prices, retail prices and order sizes. We first derive a succinct model for the chain in which the manufacturers expected profit subject to the retailer’s optimal expected profit will be explored. And a solution method to the case of uniformly distributed error demand is subsequently proposed; accordingly, a series of examples along with graphical concavity and satisfying constraint of the manufacturer’s expected profit are conducted to validate our solution method.
Volume (Year): 4 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hrmars.com/index.php/pages/detail/Accounting-Finance-Journal|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bose, Indranil & Anand, Paul, 2007. "On returns policies with exogenous price," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(3), pages 782-788, May.
- Andy A. Tsay, 1999. "The Quantity Flexibility Contract and Supplier-Customer Incentives," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(10), pages 1339-1358, October.
- Zhang, Michael & Bell, Peter C. & Cai, Gangshu (George) & Chen, Xiangfeng, 2010. "Optimal fences and joint price and inventory decisions in distinct markets with demand leakage," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(3), pages 589-596, August.
- Yao, Z. & Leung, Stephen C.H. & Lai, K.K., 2008. "Analysis of the impact of price-sensitivity factors on the returns policy in coordinating supply chain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 187(1), pages 275-282, May.
- Lau, Hon-Shiang & Lau, Amy Hing-Ling, 1999. "Manufacturer's pricing strategy and return policy for a single-period commodity," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 291-304, July.
- Martin A. Lariviere & Evan L. Porteus, 2001. "Selling to the Newsvendor: An Analysis of Price-Only Contracts," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 3(4), pages 293-305, May.
- Zhang, Michael & Bell, Peter C., 2007. "The effect of market segmentation with demand leakage between market segments on a firm's price and inventory decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(2), pages 738-754, October.
- Barry Alan Pasternack, 1985. "Optimal Pricing and Return Policies for Perishable Commodities," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(2), pages 166-176.
- Arcelus, F.J. & Kumar, Satyendra & Srinivasan, G., 2008. "Evaluating manufacturer's buyback policies in a single-period two-echelon framework under price-dependent stochastic demand," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 808-824, October.
- Serel, Dogan A., 2008. "Inventory and pricing decisions in a single-period problem involving risky supply," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 115-128, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hur:ijaraf:v:4:y:2014:i:1:p:397-408. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hassan Danial Aslam)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.