Detection of Fraud in Financial Statements: French Companies as a Case Study
The objective of this research is to test the impact of the "Fraud Triangle" elements on the detection of fraud in the financial statements. The data used in our empirical research are related to a sample of 80 French companies in the SBF 250 over the period 2001 to 2009. Using the method of logistic regression, this study shows that the performance issue exerted on the manager is a factor of pressure leading to commit fraud in the financial statements. However, factors related to financial difficulties (debt, liquidity) and the size of auditing firm are not associated with the detection of fraud.
Volume (Year): 3 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hrmars.com/index.php/pages/detail/Accounting-Finance-Journal|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Fich, Eliezer M. & Shivdasani, Anil, 2007. "Financial fraud, director reputation, and shareholder wealth," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 306-336, November.
- Hervé Stolowy & N. Smaili R, 2009.
"La publication d'une information financière non conforme à la loi et aux normes : déterminants et conséquences,"
- Nadia Smaili & Réal Labelle & Hervé Stolowy, 2009. "La publication d'une information financière non conforme à la loi et aux normes : déterminants et conséquences," Comptabilité - Contrôle - Audit, Association francophone de comptabilité, vol. 15(1), pages 159-198.
- Hervé Stolowy & Nadia Smaili & Réal Labelle, 2008. "La publication d'une information financière non conforme à la loi et aux normes : déterminants et conséquences," Working Papers hal-00578371, HAL.
- Stolowy, Hervé & Smaili, Nadia & Labelle, Réal, 2008. "La publication d'une information financière non conforme à la loi et aux normes : déterminants et conséquences," Les Cahiers de Recherche 901, HEC Paris.
- Agrawal, Anup & Chadha, Sahiba, 2005. "Corporate Governance and Accounting Scandals," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(2), pages 371-406, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hur:ijaraf:v:3:y:2013:i:3:p:40-51. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hassan Danial Aslam)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.