Estimation Of A Discrete-Choice Model With Spatial Interactions The Case Of Deforestation In Western Attica Between 1990 And 2000
This paper presents an environmental application, investigating land use changes of forests and semi-natural areas in the Greek region of Western Attica. Its objective is to estimate the spatial equilibrium distribution of individual deforestation actions and determine the degree of coordination in individual behaviour. For this purpose, the paper starts by creating a virtual economic network of 156 agents, by laying an ad hoc square grid over the region. Next, the dominant forest land use changes have been determined for each land parcel, using CORINE land cover maps for the years 1990 and 2000. The economic model used is a discrete choice model, with endogenous spatial interactions. Even though spatial interactions produce multiple equilibria, the present research proposes a two-stage fixed point estimator, yielding a unique solution. Empirical findings suggest that equilibrium deforestation actions are strategic substitutes for the environment and complements for agriculture, and are characterized by a relative lack of coordination in individual behaviour.
Volume (Year): IV (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yannis Ioannides, 2001.
"Topologies of Social Interactions,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0104, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Yannis M. Ioannides, 2004. "Topologies Of Social Interactions," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 287, Econometric Society.
- Aguirregabiria, Victor, 2004.
"Pseudo maximum likelihood estimation of structural models involving fixed-point problems,"
Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 335-340, September.
- Victor Aguirregabiria, 2004. "Pseudo Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Structural Models Involving Fixed-Point Problems," Econometrics 0402003, EconWPA.
- Blume, Lawrence E. & Brock, William A. & Durlauf, Steven N. & Ioannides, Yannis M., 2010.
"Identification of Social Interactions,"
260, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Lawrence E. Blume & William A. Brock & Steven N. Durlauf & Yannis M. Ioannides, 2010. "Identification of Social Interactions," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0754, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hrs:journl::y:2012:v:iv:i:3:p:69-83. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dimitrios K. Kouzas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.