Public capital effects on spanish regions productivity: a non-parametric approach (1965-1998)
This paper contributes to the empirical literature on public capital effects on Spanish regions productivity by applying an alternative approach to examine its influence based on a non-parametric FDH production technology with variable scaling parameters (VP-FDH) proposed in Kersten and Vanden Eeckaut (1999). This technique has significant advantages for regional comparisons of productivity and, more generally, wherever the assumption of convexity for the production set is not likely to be appropriate. My results show that public capital has a significant impact in the less developed regions. When I disaggregate public capital in the «so-called» core and non-core infrastructures I find that the first type of infrastructure have developed an important role in the majority of periods.
Volume (Year): 171 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (december)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ief.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John K. Mullen & Martin Williams & Ronald L. Moomaw, 1996. "Public capital stock and interstate variations in manufacturing efficiency," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 51-67.
- Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez & Lorenzo Serrano Martínez, 1997. "Convergencia en las regiones españolas: cambio técnico, eficiencia y productividad," Working Papers. Serie EC 1997-20, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- KERSTENS, Kristiaan & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1997.
"Estimating returns to scale using nonparametric deterministic technologies : a new method based on goodness-of-fit,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1997013, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Vanden Eeckaut, Philippe, 1999. "Estimating returns to scale using non-parametric deterministic technologies: A new method based on goodness-of-fit," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 206-214, February.
- Ezequiel Uriel Jiménez & Francisco Pérez García & Matilde Mas Ivars & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya, 1993. "Capital Público Y Productividad De La Economía Espanola," Working Papers. Serie EC 1993-08, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Douglas Gollin, 2001.
"Getting Income Shares Right,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2001-11, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, 1999.
"Why Do Some Countries Produce So Much More Output Per Worker Than Others?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 114(1), pages 83-116, February.
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, 1999. "Why Do Some Countries Produce So Much More Output per Worker than Others?," NBER Working Papers 6564, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gramlich, Edward M, 1994. "Infrastructure Investment: A Review Essay," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1176-96, September.
- Joaquin Maudos & Jose Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 2000. "Efficiency and Productive Specialization: An Application to the Spanish Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(9), pages 829-842.
- Mercedes Gumbau-Albert, 2000. "Efficiency and technical progress: sources of convergence in the Spanish regions," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(4), pages 467-478.
- Delorme, Charles Jr. & Thompson, Herbert Jr. & Warren, Ronald Jr., 1999. "Public Infrastructure and Private Productivity: A Stochastic-Frontier Approach," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 563-576, July.
- Ramón María-Dolores; & Mari Carmen Puigcerver, . "An Empirical Study of Growth in Spanis Regions: is it Exogenous?," Studies on the Spanish Economy 144, FEDEA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hpe:journl:y:2004:v:171:i:4:p:57-74. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Belén Miquel Burgos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.