The lender of last resort : alternative views and historical experience
Four views on the proper role of the lender of last resort are defined. Historical evidence is given on the causes of banking panics in the U.S. and other countries and the roles lenders of last resort played in resolving them.
Volume (Year): (1990)
Issue (Month): Jan ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.richmondfed.org/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.richmondfed.org/publications/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arthur J. Rolnick & Warren E. Weber, 1986.
"Inherent Instability in Banking: The Free Banking Experience,"
Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 5(3), pages 877-890, Winter.
- Arthur J. Rolnick & Warren E. Weber, 1985. "Inherent instability in banking: the free banking experience," Working Papers 275, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Hasan, I. & Dwyer, Jr.G.P., 1988.
"Contagious Bank Runs In The Free Banking Period,"
22, Houston - Department of Economics.
- Goodfriend, M. & King, R.G., 1988.
"Financial Deregulation, Monetary Policy, And Central Banking,"
RCER Working Papers
121, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Marvin Goodfriend & Robert G. King, 1988. "Financial deregulation, monetary policy, and central banking," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue May, pages 3-22.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Robert G. King, 1988. "Financial deregulation, monetary policy, and central banking," Working Paper 88-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Michael D. Bordo, 1981. "The classical gold standard: some lessons for today," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 2-17.
- Oskar Morgenstern, 1959. "International Financial Transactions and Business Cycles," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number morg59-1, March.
- Hirsch, Fred, 1977. "The Bagehot Problem," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 45(3), pages 241-57, September.
- Michael D. Bordo & Angela Redish, 1986.
"Why did the Bank of Canada Emerge in 1935?,"
NBER Working Papers
2079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marvin Goodfriend, 1988.
"Money, credit, banking, and payment system policy,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, pages 247-284.
- Marvin Goodfriend, 1991. "Money, credit, banking, and payments system policy," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Jan, pages 7-23.
- Weber, Ernst Juerg, 1988. "Currency Competition in Switzerland, 1826-1850," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 459-78.
- Cowen, Tyler & Kroszner, Randall, 1989. "Scottish Banking before 1845: A Model for Laissez-Faire?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 21(2), pages 221-31, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedrer:y:1990:i:jan:p:18-29:n:v.76no.1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (William Perkins)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.