The lender of last resort : alternative views and historical experience
Four views on the proper role of the lender of last resort are defined. Historical evidence is given on the causes of banking panics in the U.S. and other countries and the roles lenders of last resort played in resolving them.
Volume (Year): (1990)
Issue (Month): Jan ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.richmondfed.org/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.richmondfed.org/publications/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael D. Bordo, 1981. "The classical gold standard: some lessons for today," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 2-17.
- Iftekhar Hasan & Gerald P. Dwyer, 1989.
"Contagious bank runs in the free banking period,"
1989-002, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Arthur J. Rolnick & Warren E. Weber, 1985.
"Inherent instability in banking: the free banking experience,"
275, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Arthur J. Rolnick & Warren E. Weber, 1986. "Inherent Instability in Banking: The Free Banking Experience," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 5(3), pages 877-890, Winter.
- Hirsch, Fred, 1977. "The Bagehot Problem," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 45(3), pages 241-57, September.
- Bordo, Michael D. & Redish, Angela, 1987.
"Why Did the Bank of Canada Emerge in 1935?,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 47(02), pages 405-417, June.
- Weber, Ernst Juerg, 1988. "Currency Competition in Switzerland, 1826-1850," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 459-78.
- Cowen, Tyler & Kroszner, Randall, 1989. "Scottish Banking before 1845: A Model for Laissez-Faire?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 21(2), pages 221-31, May.
- Marvin Goodfriend, 1991.
"Money, credit, banking, and payments system policy,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Jan, pages 7-23.
- Oskar Morgenstern, 1959. "International Financial Transactions and Business Cycles," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number morg59-1, 07.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Robert G. King, 1988.
"Financial deregulation, monetary policy, and central banking,"
88-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Robert G. King, 1988. "Financial deregulation, monetary policy, and central banking," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue May, pages 3-22.
- Goodfriend, M. & King, R.G., 1988. "Financial Deregulation, Monetary Policy, And Central Banking," RCER Working Papers 121, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedrer:y:1990:i:jan:p:18-29:n:v.76no.1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Pascasio)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.