The Federal Reserve’s Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility
The securitization markets for consumer and business asset-backed securities (ABS) and commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS), which supply a substantial share of credit to consumers and small businesses, came to a near-complete halt in the fall of 2008, as investors responded to a drastic decline in funding liquidity by curtailing their participation in these markets. In response, the Federal Reserve introduced the TALF program, which extended term loans collateralized by securities to buyers of certain high-quality ABS and CMBS, as part of a broad array of emergency liquidity measures intended to avert lasting harm to the economy. This article describes the TALF program and operations in detail, explains how the terms and conditions of the TALF were intended to restore market liquidity while limiting the risk of loss to the public, and assesses the efficacy of the program. The authors find that, while it is hard to isolate the effect of the TALF, the facility is likely to have made a significant contribution to restoring liquidity in 2009 and 2010.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): Nov ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 33 Liberty Street, New York, NY 10045-0001|
Web page: http://www.newyorkfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.ny.frb.org/rmaghome/staff_rp/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicolae B. Garleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen & Adam B. Ashcraft, 2010.
"Two Monetary Tools: Interest-Rates and Haircuts,"
2010 Meeting Papers
1102, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ashcraft, Adam & Garleanu, Nicolae Bogdan & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2010. "Two Monetary Tools: Interest Rates and Haircuts," CEPR Discussion Papers 8000, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Adam Ashcraft & Nicolae Gârleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2010. "Two Monetary Tools: Interest Rates and Haircuts," NBER Working Papers 16337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth J. Robinson, 2009. "TALF: Jump-starting the securitization markets," Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, vol. 4(aug).
- Sean D. Campbell & Daniel M. Covitz & William R. Nelson & Karen M. Pence, 2011. "Securitization markets and central banking: an evaluation of the term asset-backed securities loan facility," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2011-16, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Campbell, Sean & Covitz, Daniel & Nelson, William & Pence, Karen, 2011. "Securitization markets and central banking: An evaluation of the term asset-backed securities loan facility," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(5), pages 518-531.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fednep:y:2012:i:nov:p:29-66:n:v.18no.3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Farber)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.