Implementing the single banking market in Europe
Financial integration of the European Community requires actions by both the EC and its member states to create a common EC-wide competitive and regulatory environment. This paper focuses on the EC's creation of the single market for retail banking services. It tracks the EC legislative process and the adoption of EC directives designed to create the single market. The study also examines some of the costs and benefits associated with the single banking market. This paper evaluates the EC's success in creating the single market by examining the rate of implementation by the member states of the EC single banking market directives. It concludes with an assessment of the European Community's progress toward its goal of a single banking market.
Volume (Year): (1995)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (415) 974-2000
Fax: (415) 974-3333
Web page: http://www.frbsf.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vives, Xavier, 1990. "Banking Competition and European Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 373, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jerry L. Jordan, 1990. "Restructuring Financial Institutions in a Global Economy," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 10(2), pages 315-328, Fall.
- Sydney J. Key, 1989. "Financial integration in the European Community," International Finance Discussion Papers 349, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jonathan A. Neuberger & Gary C. Zimmerman, 1990. "Bank pricing of retail deposit accounts and "the California rate mystery"," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Spr, pages 3-16.
- Robert T. Clair & Gerald P. O'Driscoll, Jr., 1991. "Learning from one another: the U.S. and European banking experience," Research Paper 9108, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Gual, Jordi & Neven, Damien J, 1992. "Deregulation of the European Banking Industry (1980-1991)," CEPR Discussion Papers 703, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Caminal, Ramon & Gual, Jordi & Vives, Xavier, 1989. "Competition in Spanish Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 314, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- K. Alec Chrystal & Cletus C. Coughlin, 1992. "How the 1992 legislation will affect European financial services," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 62-77.
- Beverly Hirtle, 1991. "Factors affecting the competitiveness of internationally active financial institutions," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Spr, pages 38-51.
- Peter J. Ferrara, 1990. "International Trends in the Combination of Banking," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 10(2), pages 329-346, Fall.
- Inman, Robert P. & Rubinfeld, Daniel L., 1994. "The EMU and fiscal policy in the new European Community: An issue for economic federalism," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 147-161, June.
- Christine Pavel & John N. McElravey, 1990. "Globalization in the financial services industry," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue May, pages 3-18.
- Mervyn K. Lewis, 1990. "Banking, Securities, and Commerce: A European Perspective," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 10(2), pages 347-356, Fall.
- James V. Houpt, 1988. "International trends for U.S. banks and banking markets," Staff Studies 156, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Pedro Schwartz, 1990. "The Single European Financial Market," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 10(2), pages 357-361.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedfer:y:1995:p:35-51:n:3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Rosenberger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.