Implementing the single banking market in Europe
Financial integration of the European Community requires actions by both the EC and its member states to create a common EC-wide competitive and regulatory environment. This paper focuses on the EC's creation of the single market for retail banking services. It tracks the EC legislative process and the adoption of EC directives designed to create the single market. The study also examines some of the costs and benefits associated with the single banking market. This paper evaluates the EC's success in creating the single market by examining the rate of implementation by the member states of the EC single banking market directives. It concludes with an assessment of the European Community's progress toward its goal of a single banking market.
Volume (Year): (1995)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 7702, San Francisco, CA 94120-7702|
Phone: (415) 974-2000
Fax: (415) 974-3333
Web page: http://www.frbsf.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mervyn K. Lewis, 1990. "Banking, Securities, and Commerce: A European Perspective," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 10(2), pages 347-356, Fall.
- Pedro Schwartz, 1990. "The Single European Financial Market," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 10(2), pages 357-361.
- Vives, Xavier, 1990. "Banking Competition and European Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 373, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sydney J. Key, 1989. "Financial integration in the European Community," International Finance Discussion Papers 349, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Beverly Hirtle, 1991. "Factors affecting the competitiveness of internationally active financial institutions," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Spr, pages 38-51.
- Jerry L. Jordan, 1990. "Restructuring Financial Institutions in a Global Economy," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 10(2), pages 315-328, Fall.
- Peter J. Ferrara, 1990. "International Trends in the Combination of Banking," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 10(2), pages 329-346, Fall.
- K. Alec Chrystal & Cletus C. Coughlin, 1992. "How the 1992 legislation will affect European financial services," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 62-77.
- Clair, Robert T. & Gerald P. O'Driscoll, Jr., 1991. "Learning from one another: the U.S. and European banking experience," Working Papers 9108, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Gual, Jordi & Neven, Damien J, 1992. "Deregulation of the European Banking Industry (1980-1991)," CEPR Discussion Papers 703, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Caminal, Ramon & Gual, Jordi & Vives, Xavier, 1989. "Competition in Spanish Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 314, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jonathan A. Neuberger & Gary C. Zimmerman, 1990. "Bank pricing of retail deposit accounts and "the California rate mystery"," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Spr, pages 3-16.
- James V. Houpt, 1988. "International trends for U.S. banks and banking markets," Staff Studies 156, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Christine A. Pavel & John N. McElravey, 1990. "Globalization in the financial services industry," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue May, pages 3-18.
- Inman, Robert P. & Rubinfeld, Daniel L., 1994. "The EMU and fiscal policy in the new European Community: An issue for economic federalism," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 147-161, June.