Should bank reserves earn interest?
This article examines the effects and desirability of paying interest on required reserves. Scott Freeman and Joseph Haslag demonstrate that a policy of paying interest on reserves can make everyone better off, even if the interest must be financed by a tax on capital. An essential part of this policy is an open market operation that offsets any changes in the value of money.
Volume (Year): (1995)
Issue (Month): Q IV ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dallasfed.org/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George S. Tolley, 1957. "Providing for Growth of the Money Supply," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65, pages 465.
- Haslag, Joseph H., 1993.
"Does it matter how monetary policy is implemented?,"
9310, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Haslag, Joseph H. & Hein, Scott E., 1995. "Does it matter how monetary policy is implemented?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 359-386, April.
- Haslag, Joseph H. & Hein, Scott E., 1990. "Does it matter how monetary policy is implemented?," Working Papers 9009, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Romer, David, 1985. "Financial intermediation, reserve requirements, and inside money: A general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 175-194, September.
- Caminal, R. & Bacchetta, P., 1992.
"A Note on Reserve Requirements and Public Finance,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
176.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Bruce D. Smith, 1991.
"Interest on Reserves and Sunspot Equilibria: Friedman's Proposal Reconsidered,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(1), pages 93-105.
- Smith, B.D., 1988. "Interest On Reserves And Sunspot Equilibria: Friedman'S Proposal Reconsidered," RCER Working Papers 119, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Sargent, Thomas & Wallace, Neil, 1985. "Interest on reserves," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 279-290, May.
- Joshua N. Feinman, 1993. "Reserve requirements: history, current practice, and potential reform," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jun, pages 569-589.
- Auernheimer, Leonardo, 1974. "The Honest Government's Guide to the Revenue from the Creation of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(3), pages 598-606, May/June.
- Freeman, Scott, 1987. "Reserve requirements and optimal seigniorage," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 307-314, March.
- Diamond, Peter A & Mirrlees, James A, 1971. "Optimal Taxation and Public Production II: Tax Rules," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(3), pages 261-78, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedder:y:1995:i:qiv:p:25-33. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.