Is there any rationale for reserve requirements?
A search for a contemporary rationale for reserve requirements that finds little to recommend them other than an aversion to total reliance on the discount window for meeting banks' day-to-day liquidity needs.
Volume (Year): (1991)
Issue (Month): Q III ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.clevelandfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John C. Partlan & Kausar Hamdani & Kathleen M. Camilli, 1986. "Reserves forecasting for open market operations," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Spr, pages 19-33.
- Sargent, Thomas & Wallace, Neil, 1985. "Interest on reserves," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 279-290, May.
- Barro, Robert J., 1982.
"Measuring the Fed's revenue from money creation,"
Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 327-332.
- Thomas Mayer, 1966. "Interest Payments On Required Reserve Balances," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 21(1), pages 116-118, 03.
- Smith, Bruce D, 1991. "Bank Panics, Suspensions, and Geography: Some Notes on the "Contagion of Fear" in Banking," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(2), pages 230-48, April.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1980. "Banking in the theory of finance," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 39-57, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedcer:y:1991:i:qiii:p:2-17:n:v.27no.3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lee Faulhaber)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.