Is commercial banking a distinct line of commerce?
In analyzing the competitive impacts of bank consolidations, banking agencies and the U.S. Department of Justice tend to rely on the assumption that the market for bank services is local and is for services offered only by banks. This approach allows analysts to merge all products and services into a "cluster of services" for analysis of competition. Increases in types and locations of competitors have cast doubt on whether a cluster of services exists, however. ; These changes have induced the U.S. Department of Justice to do separate analyses of small business lending when analyzing consolidations. This article compares measures of market concentration across deposit and small business loan products to answer two questions crucial for antitrust analysis: Are small business lending markets local, and are deposits an adequate proxy for small business loans? For their analysis, the authors use new information provided by Community Reinvestment Act data, which give a broader picture of out-of-market participation in a local small business lending market and therefore an indication of the degree of competitive pressure applied by these institutions. The findings indicate that the convenience of local offices can be overcome at least partly by distant lenders offering, for example, better rates, greater access to credit, or more flexible products or hours of service. The authors conclude that, while additional research is needed, using multiple measures of market concentration is likely to give a truer picture of competition, especially in marginal cases.
Volume (Year): (2000)
Issue (Month): Q4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.frbatlanta.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ausubel, Lawrence M, 1991. "The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 50-81, March.
- Gregory E. Elliehausen & John D. Wolken, 1990.
"Banking markets and the use of financial services by small and medium- sized businesses,"
Federal Reserve Bulletin,
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Oct, pages 801-817.
- Gregory E. Elliehausen & John D. Wolken, 1990. "Banking markets and the use of financial services by small and medium- sized businesses," Staff Studies 160, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Cole, Rebel A., 1998. "The importance of relationships to the availability of credit," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 959-977, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1995.
"Universal banking and the future of small business lending,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
95-21, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1995. "Universal Banking and the Future of Small Business Lending," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 95-17, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Jackson, William III & Eisenbeis, Robert A., 1997. "Geographic integration of bank deposit markets and restrictions on interstate banking: A cointegration approach," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 335-346.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Kwast, Myron L., 1999. "Bank mergers: What should policymakers do?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 629-636, February.
- Frame, W Scott & Srinivasan, Aruna & Woosley, Lynn, 2001. "The Effect of Credit Scoring on Small-Business Lending," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(3), pages 813-25, August.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedaer:y:2000:i:q4:p:39-58:n:v.85no.4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Meredith Rector)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.