Do trade unions care about employment? : reduced-form test results from the Finnish paper and textile industries
This study reports the results of testing the seniority model of trade union behaviour using data on two Finnish industries. We found that; (i) the empirical results do not support the idea that the aim of trade unions is merely to push their members' wages as high as possible; (ii) the relationship between the real consumption wage and aggregate unemployment is non-linear in such a way that the unemployment elasticity of the real consumption wage rises in absolute terms with the unemployment rate; and (iii) the unemployment elasticity of the real consumption wage differs significantly across the industries studied.
Volume (Year): 3 (1990)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.taloustieteellinenyhdistys.fi|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holden, S., 1989. "Wage Drift In Norway: A Bargaining Approach," Papers 438, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1985. " The Economic Theory of Trade Unions: An Introductory Survey," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 160-93.
- Vartia, Tor Eriksson & Antti Suvanto, & Pentti,, 1989.
"Wage Setting in Finland,"
286, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Manning, Alan, 1987. "An Integration of Trade Union Models in a Sequential Bargaining Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(385), pages 121-39, March.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J & Garrett, Mario D, 1990.
"Insider Power in Wage Determination,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 57(226), pages 143-70, May.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald & Mario D. Garrett, 1989. "Insider Power in Wage Determination," NBER Working Papers 3179, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchflower, D. & Oswald, A. & Garrett, M., 1988. "Insider Power In Wage Determination," Papers 319, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Carruth, Alan A & Oswald, Andrew J, 1985.
"Miners' Wages in Post-war Britain: An Application of a Model of Trade Union Behaviour,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(380), pages 1003-20, December.
- Alan Carruth & Andrew Oswald, 1984. "Miners' Wages in Post-War Britain: An Application of a Model of Trade Union Behavior," Working Papers 558, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Nickell, S J & Andrews, M, 1983. "Unions, Real Wages and Employment in Britain 1951-79," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(0), pages 183-206, Supplemen.
- Hendry, David F & Mizon, Grayham E, 1978. "Serial Correlation as a Convenient Simplification, not a Nuisance: A Comment on a Study of the Demand for Money by the Bank of England," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(351), pages 549-63, September.
- Carruth, Alan A & Oswald, Andrew J & Findlay, Lewis, 1986. "A Test of a Model of Trade Union Behaviour: The Coal and Steel Industries in Britain," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Holmlund, B. & Skedinger, P., 1988. "Wage Bargaining And Wage Drift: Evidence From The Swedish Wood Industry," Papers 419, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Oswald, Andrew J., 1993.
"Efficient contracts are on the labour demand curve : Theory and facts,"
Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 85-113, June.
- Oswald, A. J., 1995. "Efficient contracts are on the labour demand curve: Theory and facts," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 102-102, March.
- Andrew Oswald, 1984. "Efficient Contracts are on the Labour Demand Curve: Theory and Facts," Working Papers 555, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Holmlund, B. & Skedinger, P., 1988. "Wage Bargaining And Wage Drift: Evidence From Swedish Wood Industry," Papers 1988g, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fep:journl:v:3:y:1990:i:1:p:26-40. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.