House Prices in the Measurement of Inflation - An Application Using Irish Data
This paper illustrates the impact on Irish inflation of including a house-price series with the current components of the harmonised index of consumer prices (HICP). We construct a dynamic factor index of inflation that weights the individual price series according to the strength of their signal about the common trend in prices. As the relatively noisy house-price series attracts a weight of only 3 per cent in the index, the inclusion of house prices in this way does not hugely alter the recent pattern of inflation for Ireland, despite house prices exhibiting much stronger growth on average than the current measure of consumer prices.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul D. Gilbert & Lise Pichette, 2003. "Dynamic Factor Analysis for Measuring Money," Working Papers 03-21, Bank of Canada.
- Mark A. Wynne, 1999.
"Core inflation: a review of some conceptual issues,"
9903, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Mark A. Wynne, 2008. "Core inflation: a review of some conceptual issues," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 205-228.
- Wynne, Mark A., 1999. "Core inflation: a review of some conceptual issues," Working Paper Series 0005, European Central Bank.
- Detken, Carsten & Smets, Frank, 2004.
"Asset price booms and monetary policy,"
Working Paper Series
0364, European Central Bank.
- Shiratsuka, Shigenori, 1999.
"Asset Price Fluctuation and Price Indices,"
Monetary and Economic Studies,
Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 17(3), pages 103-128, December.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1993.
"The consumer price index as a measure of inflation,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q IV, pages 15-24.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1993. "The Consumer Price Index as a Measure of Inflation," NBER Working Papers 4505, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti & Roisin O'Sullivan, 2002.
"Asset Prices in the Measurement of Inflation,"
NBER Working Papers
8700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donnery, Sharon, 2003. "Money Supply in Ireland," Quarterly Bulletin Articles, Central Bank of Ireland, pages 73-95, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eso:journl:v:36:y:2005:i:2:p:157-178. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Walsh)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.