Measuring the Dynamic Cost of Living Index from Consumption Data
In the U.S., the objective of consumer price index (CPI) measurement is to measure the cost of living. However, the current CPI or, in other words, cost of living index (COLI) measures the cost of living in a static optimization problem. This paper proposes a new method to construct a dynamic cost of living index (DCOLI). Our method offers several advantages compared to other dynamic cost of living indices proposed in the literature. First, our measure is based on total wealth. Previous indices limited attention to financial wealth. Second, we consider an Epstein-Zin preference structure. Most previous literature has used log preferences. We derive formulas that relate our DCOLI to the COLI and derive conditions under which the two coincide. We also produce empirical measures of our DCOLI. We find that under standard assumptions on preferences, the volatility of our DCOLI is about the same as that of the COLI. In certain periods, e.g., 1977–1983, our measure differs sharply from the COLI.
|Date of creation:||02 Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Anton Braun & Julen Esteban-Pretel & Toshihiro Okada & Nao Sudou, 2005.
"A Comparison of the Japanese and U.S. Business Cycles,"
CIRJE-F-392, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Anton Braun, R. & Esteban-Pretel, Julen & Okada, Toshihiro & Sudou, Nao, 2006. "A comparison of the Japanese and U.S. business cycles," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 441-463, December.
- Shigenori Shiratsuka, 1999.
"Asset price fluctuation and price indices,"
Working Paper Series
WP-99-9, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- M.F. Bryan & S.G. Cecchetti & R. O'Sullivan, 2001.
"Asset Prices in the Measurement of Inflation,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
62, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Lustig, Hanno & van Nieuwerburgh, Stijn & Verdelhan, Adrien, 2012.
"The Wealth-Consumption Ratio,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9022, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Zhenyu Wang, 1996.
"The conditional CAPM and the cross-section of expected returns,"
208, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Jagannathan, Ravi & Wang, Zhenyu, 1996. " The Conditional CAPM and the Cross-Section of Expected Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 3-53, March.
- Campbell, John Y, 1993.
"Intertemporal Asset Pricing without Consumption Data,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 487-512, June.
- Campbell, John, 1993. "Intertemporal Asset Pricing Without Consumption Data," Scholarly Articles 3221491, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell, 1992. "Intertemporal Asset Pricing Without Consumption Data," NBER Working Papers 3989, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanno Lustig & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh, 2008.
"The Returns on Human Capital: Good News on Wall Street is Bad News on Main Street,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(5), pages 2097-2137, September.
- Hanno Lustig & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh, 2005. "The Returns on Human Capital: Good News on Wall Street is Bad News on Main Street," NBER Working Papers 11564, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John, 1996.
"Understanding Risk and Return,"
3153293, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell, 1993. "Understanding Risk and Return," NBER Working Papers 4554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell, 1995. "Understanding Risk and Return," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1711, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Hiroshi Shibuya, 1992. "Dynamic Equilibrium Price Index: Asset Price and Inflation," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 10(1), pages 95-109, February.
- Alchian, Armen A & Klein, Benjamin, 1973. "On a Correct Measure of Inflation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 5(1), pages 173-91, Part I Fe.
- Reis, Ricardo, 2005. "A cost-of-living dynamic price index, with an application to indexing retirement accounts," CEPR Discussion Papers 5394, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin Lettau, 2001.
"Consumption, Aggregate Wealth, and Expected Stock Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 56(3), pages 815-849, 06.
- Sydney Ludvigson & Martin Lettau, 1999. "Consumption, aggregate wealth and expected stock returns," Staff Reports 77, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Lettau, Martin & Ludvigson, Sydney, 1999. "Consumption, Aggregate Wealth and Expected Stock Returns," CEPR Discussion Papers 2223, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert A. Pollack, 1975. "The Intertemporal Cost of Living Index," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 4, number 1, pages 179-198 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1991. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 263-86, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:9802. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.