Estimation of the Romanian hospitals efficiency in relation to hospital market competition
The study examines a sample of 20 teaching and research Romanian hospitals, located in Bucharest, during the period 2001 – 2005, in terms of their efficiency and influence on their neighbouring health care units, expressed as an idiosyncratic form of market competition. Perspectives in case price competition will become a differentiation factor among hospitals, as health care migrates from the public to the for-profit sector will be addressed to, as well as the analysis of a possible switch, in the teaching and research hospitals’ (TRH) policy, from focusing on technical efficiency to trying to compensate their low operating margins by offering more unverifiable quality, which will be appreciated by the patients suiting a different, now emerging, customer profile.
Volume (Year): 3 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (Autumn)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Gaynor & William B. Vogt, 1999.
"Antitrust and Competition in Health Care Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
7112, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glaeser, Edward L. & Shleifer, Andrei, 2001.
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 99-115, July.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "Not-For-Profit Entrepreneurs," NBER Working Papers 6810, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "Not-For-Profit Entrepreneurs," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1852, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Propper, Carol & Burgess, Simon & Green, Katherine, 2004. "Does competition between hospitals improve the quality of care?: Hospital death rates and the NHS internal market," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(7-8), pages 1247-1272, July.
- Mark G. Duggan, 2000.
"Hospital Ownership and Public Medical Spending,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 115(4), pages 1343-1373.
- Daniel Bilodeau & Pierre-Yves Crémieux & Pierre Ouellette, 2000. "Hospital Cost Function In A Non-Market Health Care System," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(3), pages 489-498, August.
- Dranove, David & Shanley, Mark & White, William D, 1993. "Price and Concentration in Hospital Markets: The Switch from Patient-Driven to Payer-Driven Competition," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(1), pages 179-204, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eph:journl:v:3:y:2008:i:3:n:6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simona Vasilache)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.