An International Political Economy Approach to the Neighbourhood Policy. The ENP from the Enlargement and the Mediterranean Perspectives
Scholars have widely used the enlargement process as a foil for assessing both the nature and the potential influence of the ENP. In this paper, I attempt to show that the ENP-enlargement comparison is flawed by the fact that the two policies pursue different finalitŽ Ð association and integration respectively. The paper then privileges the comparison with the Euro-Mediterranean policy. Drawing on the ENP-EMP comparison, the paper argues that the ENP marks the shift away from policy-change to policy-level. Two implications are drawn from this finding. The first is substantive in that it points to a pragmatic international role for the EU. The second is methodological in that I argue that adopting an IPE approach to the study of the ENP bears important analytic advantages.
Volume (Year): 7 (2007)
Issue (Month): Summer ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://eper.htw-berlin.de/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ian Manners, 2002. "Normative Power Europe: A Contradiction in Terms?," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 235-258, 06.
- Ikenberry, G. John & Kupchan, Charles A., 1990. "Socialization and hegemonic power," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(03), pages 283-315, June.
- Finnemore, Martha, 1993. "International organizations as teachers of norms: the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cutural Organization and science policy," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 47(04), pages 565-597, September.
- Vachudova, Milada Anna, 2005. "Europe Undivided: Democracy, Leverage, and Integration After Communism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199241194.
- Federica Bicchi, 2003. "Defining European Interests in Foreign Policy: Insights from the Mediterranean Case," ARENA Working Papers 13, ARENA.
- Judith Kelley, 2006. "New Wine in Old Wineskins: Promoting Political Reforms through the New European Neighbourhood Policy," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 29-55, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:epe:journl:v:7:y:2007:i:summer:p:156-180. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof.Dr.Sebastian Dullien)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.