A Southern Europe strategy based on vision and industrial policy
This paper argues that an industrial policy strategy is needed for the southern European countries for regaining competitiveness and stability. That strategie need to be different from the past industrial policy, more systemic, and should include innovation strategies and ways to upgrade education. They should embrace competition on national and international markets as driver of change. They should create and support clusters and industrial zones, which could then be the basis for technology transfers, foreign direct investment and for making use of globalisation. New industrial policies should emphasise on sectors where society has a long term interest, e.g. alternative energies or health tourism. In short, industrial policy is a necessary strategy element in times of budget consolidation especially for the southern European periphery.
Volume (Year): 82 (2013)
Issue (Month): 01 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/Donostia-San Sebastián, 1, 01010 Vitoria-Gasteiz|
Phone: + 34 945019038
Fax: + 34945019062
Web page: http://www.euskadi.eus/economia
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Dpto. de Hacienda y Finanzas, Gobierno Vasco, C/Donostia-San Sebastián, 1, 01010 Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karl Aiginger & Susanne Sieber, 2006. "The Matrix Approach to Industrial Policy," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(5), pages 573-601.
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-499, June.
- Paul Krugman, 1990. "Increasing Returns and Economic Geography," NBER Working Papers 3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierre-André Buigues & Khalid Sekkat, 2011. "Public Subsidies to Business: An International Comparison," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Karl Aiginger, 2007. "Industrial Policy: A Dying Breed or A Re-emerging Phoenix," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 297-323, December.
- Francisco Carballo-Cruz, 2011. "Causes and Consequences of the Spanish Economic Crisis: Why the Recovery is Taken so Long?," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 58(3), pages 309-328, September.
- repec:clr:wugarc:y:2012:v:38i:1p:15 is not listed on IDEAS
- Philippe Aghion & Julian Boulanger & Elie Cohen, 2011. "Rethinking industrial policy," Policy Briefs 566, Bruegel.
- Karl Aiginger, 2006. "Competitiveness: From a Dangerous Obsession to a Welfare Creating Ability with Positive Externalities," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 161-177, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)