Corporate Restructuring and the Budget Deficit Debate
This paper examines the assumptions underlying the view that large federal budget deficits crowd out private investment and create a twin trade deficit. These assumptions are contrasted with those of an alternative theory which emphasizes the importance of the institutional structures of the financial system in the context of the credit market. In particular, the paper argues that corporations were not crowded out of credit markets; indeed, they borrowed heavily to finance corporate restructuring (mergers, takeovers, leveraged buyouts, equity repurchases, etc.). This restructuring was encouraged by tax considerations, and the resulting loss of revenue contributed to the budget deficit.
Volume (Year): 19 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 (Fall)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (201) 684-7346
Web page: http://www.ramapo.edu/eea/journal.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ben S. Bernanke, 1983.
"Non-Monetary Effects of the Financial Crisis in the Propagation of the Great Depression,"
NBER Working Papers
1054, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben S, 1983. "Nonmonetary Effects of the Financial Crisis in Propagation of the Great Depression," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(3), pages 257-76, June.
- Mark Gertler, 1988.
"Financial structure and aggregate economic activity: an overview,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 559-596.
- Gertler, Mark, 1988. "Financial Structure and Aggregate Economic Activity: An Overview," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(3), pages 559-88, August.
- Mark L. Gertler, 1988. "Financial Structure and Aggregate Economic Activity: An Overview," NBER Working Papers 2559, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1988. "Takeovers: Their Causes and Consequences," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(1), pages 21-48, Winter.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
- Martin Feldstein & Philippe Bacchetta, 1991.
"National Saving and International Investment,"
in: National Saving and Economic Performance, pages 201-226
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrea Terzi, 2004.
"The independence of finance from saving: A flow-of-funds interpretation,"
- Andrea Terzi, 1987. "The Independence of Finance from Saving: A Flow-of-Funds Interpretation," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 9(2), pages 188-197, January.
- Albert M. Wojnilower, 1980. "The Central Role of Credit Crunches in Recent Financial History," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 11(2), pages 277-340.
- Andrei Shleifer & Lawrence H. Summers, 1987.
"Breach of Trust in Hostile Takeovers,"
NBER Working Papers
2342, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James R. Crotty, 1992. "Neoclassical and Keynesian Approaches to the Theory of Investment," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 14(4), pages 483-496, July.
- Blejer, Mario I & Cheasty, Adrienne, 1991. "The Measurement of Fiscal Deficits: Analytical and Methodological Issues," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 1644-78, December.
- Hayne E. Leland., 1989. "LBOs and Taxes: No One to Blame But Ourselves?," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-185, University of California at Berkeley.
- repec:fth:harver:1489 is not listed on IDEAS
- Myron S. Scholes & Mark A. Wolfson, 1991. "The Role of Tax Rules in the Recent Restructuring of U.S. Corporations," NBER Chapters, in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 5, pages 1-24 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Allen Sinai, 1992. "Financial and Real Business Cycles," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 18(1), pages 1-54, Winter.
- Scherer, F M, 1988. "Corporate Takeovers: The Efficiency Arguments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(1), pages 69-82, Winter.
- Singh, A., 1992. "Regulation of Mergers in the US and the UK: A new Agenda," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9207, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eej:eeconj:v:19:y:1993:i:4:p:495-520. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson, College of the Holy Cross)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.