Motivations and risks in international licensing: a review and implications for licensing to transitional and emerging economies
In the light of changes in technology and today's global business environment, recent contributions in the literature regarding international licensing, particularly the reasons, risks, and management of licensing are reviewed. The main reasons that firms choose licensing over other methods of international market entry are examined, and the risks associated with licensing are synthesized and updated, along with perspectives on managing those risks. Finally, areas are suggested for further inquiry that may help to enrich this field of study. Throughout, particular attention is paid to the issues of international licensing that affect emerging and transitional economies, particularly from the perspective of small firms.
Volume (Year): 35 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter W Liesch & Gary A Knight, 1999. "Information Internalization and Hurdle Rates in Small and Medium Enterprise Internationalization," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(2), pages 383-394, June.
- Mukesh Eswaran, 1994. "Cross-Licensing of Competing Patents as a Facilitating Device," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(3), pages 689-708, August.
- Bruce Kogut & Udo Zander, 1993. "Knowledge of the Firm and the Evolutionary Theory of the Multinational Corporation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 625-645, December.
- Wright, Donald J., 1993.
"International technology transfer with an information asymmetry and endogenous research and development,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(1-2), pages 47-67, August.
- Wright, Donald J., 1990. "International Technology Transfer with an Information Asymmetry and Endogenous Research and Development," Working Papers 138, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- Lin, Ping, 1996. "Fixed-Fee Licensing of Innovations and Collusion," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(4), pages 443-49, December.
- Mukesh Eswaran, 1994. "Licensees as Entry Barriers," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(3), pages 673-88, August.
- Chaim Fershtman & Morton I. Kamien, 1990.
"Cross Licensing of Complementary Technologies,"
866, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Peter J Buckley & Mark C Casson, 1998. "Analyzing Foreign Market Entry Strategies: Extending the Internalization Approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 539-561, September.
- Caves, Richard E & Crookell, Harold & Killing, J Peter, 1983. "The Imperfect Market for Technology Licenses," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 45(3), pages 249-67, August.
- A L Calvet, 1981. "A Synthesis of Foreign Direct Investment Theories and Theories of the Multinational Firm," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 12(1), pages 43-59, March.
- John H Dunning, 1980. "Towards an Eclectic Theory of International Production: Some Empirical Tests," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 11(1), pages 9-31, March.
- Song, E. Young, 1996. "Voluntary export restraints and strategic technology transfers," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 165-186, February.
- Preet S Aulakh & S Tamer Cavusgil & M B Sarkar, 1998. "Compensation in International Licensing Agreements," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(2), pages 409-419, June.
- Paul W Beamish & John C Banks, 1987. "Equity Joint Ventures and Theory of the Multinational Enterprise," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 18(2), pages 1-16, June.
- Feenstra, Robert C & Judd, Kenneth L, 1982. "Tariffs, Technology Transfer, and Welfare," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1142-65, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:35:y:2000:i:2:p:171-188. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.