High-speed rail and air transport competition in Western Europe: A supply-oriented perspective
Increasingly air transport growth raises the question of its impact on the environment. Public authorities and researchers are relying more and more on high-speed trains (HSTs), whose efficiency is supposed to lead to a modal shift from airplanes. However, most transport studies focus on the evolution of demand rather than supply, although it is basically the latter that determines environmental damage. In light of this fact, this paper aims to compare the overall dynamics in the supply of air transport in Europe compared to the HST supply and to examine empirically five city-pairs. The development of high-speed rail remains limited compared to the increase of air services. For a given city-pair, the decline in the number of flights depends on various conditions, including length of the HST journey and the strategies adopted by the airlines. Some carriers reduce their supply in terms of the number of seats but increase the number of flights in order to compete more effectively with the HSTs. Moreover, the competition between low-cost airlines and HSTs should be kept in mind and re-examined in a few years.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Friebel Guido & Niffka Marko, 2009. "The Functioning of Inter-modal Competition in the Transportation Market: Evidence from the Entry of Low-cost Airlines in Germany," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 8(2), pages 1-23, June.
- Sánchez-Borràs, Marta & Nash, Chris & Abrantes, Pedro & López-Pita, Andrés, 2010. "Rail access charges and the competitiveness of high speed trains," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 102-109, March.
- Roger Vickerman, 1997. "High-speed rail in Europe: experience and issues for future development," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 31(1), pages 21-38.
- Barbot, Cristina, 2006. "Low-cost airlines, secondary airports, and state aid: An economic assessment of the Ryanairâ€“Charleroi Airport agreement," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 197-203.
- Frédéric Dobruszkes, 2006. "An analysis of European low-cost airlines and their networks," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/95835, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Chaug-Ing Hsu & Wen-Ming Chung, 1997. "A model for market share distribution between high-speed and conventional rail services in a transportation corridor," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 31(2), pages 121-153.
- Benedikt Mandel & Marc Gaudry & Werner Rothengatter, 1997. "A disaggregate Box-Cox Logit mode choice model of intercity passenger travel in Germany and its implications for high-speed rail demand forecasts," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 31(2), pages 99-120.
- Givoni, Moshe & Rietveld, Piet, 2009. "Airline's choice of aircraft size - Explanations and implications," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 500-510, June.
- Adler, Nicole & Pels, Eric & Nash, Chris, 2010. "High-speed rail and air transport competition: Game engineering as tool for cost-benefit analysis," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 812-833, August.
- Campos, Javier & de Rus, Ginés, 2009. "Some stylized facts about high-speed rail: A review of HSR experiences around the world," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 19-28, January.
- RomÃ¡n, ConcepciÃ³n & Espino, Raquel & MartÃn, Juan Carlos, 2007. "Competition of high-speed train with air transport: The case of Madridâ€“Barcelona," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 277-284.
- Frédéric Dobruszkes, 2008. "Libéralisation et desserte des territoires :le cas du transport aérien européen," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136530, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Frédéric Dobruszkes, 2009. "New Europe, new low-cost air services," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/95851, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Hunter, Laurie, 2006. "Low Cost Airlines:: Business Model and Employment Relations," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 315-321, October.
- Bel, Germà, 1997. "Changes in travel time across modes and its impact on the demand for inter-urban rail travel," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 43-52, March.
- Frédéric Dobruszkes, 2001. "Multimodalité TGV – avion: considérations sur le cas de Bruxelles," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/95864, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:18:y:2011:i:6:p:870-879. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.