The development of an option generation tool to identify potential transport policy packages
While techniques for identifying urban transport problems, predicting the effects of possible solutions and appraising their performance are well developed, there is a significant gap in the decision-making chain relating to the generation of those possible solutions. A literature review has identified a number of option generation methods in other sectors, which are of potential application to transport. It categorises them into 'inside the box' methods, which are principally quantitative and draw on a pre-existing list of solutions, and 'outside the box' methods, which are more qualitative but potentially better able to generate wholly novel solutions. It also distinguishes between applications at the levels of formulation of an overall strategy and of detailed design of a particular scheme. An 'inside the box' method for strategy option generation has been developed building on the capabilities of an existing web-based knowledgebase, KonSULT. The design principles are described and potential further developments outlined.
Volume (Year): 15 (2008)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G Hoinville, 1971. "Evaluating Community Preferences," Environment and Planning A, SAGE Publishing, vol. 3(1), pages 33-50, March.
- May, Anthony D. & Kelly, Charlotte & Shepherd, Simon, 2006. "The principles of integration in urban transport strategies," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 319-327, July.
- G Hoinville, 1971. "Evaluating community preferences," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 3(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Ela Babalik-Sutcliffe, 2002. "Urban rail systems: Analysis of the factors behind success," Transport Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 415-447, January.
- Kocak, Nazan A. & Jones, Peter & Whibley, David, 2005. "Tools for road user charging (RUC) scheme option generation," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 391-405, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:15:y:2008:i:6:p:361-371. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.