Robustifying principal component analysis with spatial sign vectors
In this paper, we apply orthogonally equivariant spatial sign covariance matrices as well as their affine equivariant counterparts in principal component analysis. The influence functions and asymptotic covariance matrices of eigenvectors based on robust covariance estimators are derived in order to compare the robustness and efficiency properties. We show in particular that the estimators that use pairwise differences of the observed data have very good efficiency properties, providing practical robust alternatives to classical sample covariance matrix based methods.
Volume (Year): 82 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frahm, Gabriel, 2009. "Asymptotic distributions of robust shape matrices and scales," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(7), pages 1329-1337, August.
- Tyler, David E., 2010. "A note on multivariate location and scatter statistics for sparse data sets," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(17-18), pages 1409-1413, September.
- Lutz Dümbgen & David E. Tyler, 2005. "On the Breakdown Properties of Some Multivariate M-Functionals," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 32(2), pages 247-264.
- Marden, John I., 1999. "Some robust estimates of principal components," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 349-359, July.
- N. Locantore & J. Marron & D. Simpson & N. Tripoli & J. Zhang & K. Cohen & Graciela Boente & Ricardo Fraiman & Babette Brumback & Christophe Croux & Jianqing Fan & Alois Kneip & John Marden & Daniel P, 1999. "Robust principal component analysis for functional data," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer;Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa, vol. 8(1), pages 1-73, June.
- Daniel Gervini, 2008. "Robust functional estimation using the median and spherical principal components," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 95(3), pages 587-600.
- Nordhausen, Klaus & Oja, Hannu, 2011. "Multivariate L1 Statistical Methods: The Package MNM," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 43(i05).
- Paindaveine, Davy, 2008. "A canonical definition of shape," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(14), pages 2240-2247, October.
- Taskinen, Sara & Croux, Christophe & Kankainen, Annaliisa & Ollila, Esa & Oja, Hannu, 2006. "Influence functions and efficiencies of the canonical correlation and vector estimates based on scatter and shape matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 359-384, February.
- Sirkiä, Seija & Taskinen, Sara & Oja, Hannu, 2007. "Symmetrised M-estimators of multivariate scatter," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(8), pages 1611-1629, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:82:y:2012:i:4:p:765-774. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.