What is self-rated health and why does it predict mortality? Towards a unified conceptual model
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Manderbacka, Kristiina & Lundberg, Olle & Martikainen, Pekka, 1999. "Do risk factors and health behaviours contribute to self-ratings of health?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 48(12), pages 1713-1720, June.
- Sheung-Tak Cheng & Helene Fung & Alfred Chan, 2007. "Maintaining Self-Rated Health Through Social Comparison in Old Age," Journals of Gerontology: Series B, Gerontological Society of America, vol. 62(5), pages 277-285.
- Crossley, Thomas F. & Kennedy, Steven, 2002. "The reliability of self-assessed health status," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 643-658, July.
- Moum, Torbjoârn, 1992. "Self-assessed health among Norwegian adults," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 935-947, October.
- repec:aph:ajpbhl:1999:89:8:1187-1193_6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mansyur, Carol & Amick, Benjamin C. & Harrist, Ronald B. & Franzini, Luisa, 2008. "Social capital, income inequality, and self-rated health in 45 countries," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 43-56, January.
- Benyamini, Yael & Leventhal, Elaine A. & Leventhal, Howard, 2003. "Elderly people's ratings of the importance of health-related factors to their self-assessments of health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 56(8), pages 1661-1667, April.
- Kaplan, Giora & Baron-Epel, Orna, 2003. "What lies behind the subjective evaluation of health status?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 56(8), pages 1669-1676, April.
- Bzostek, Sharon & Goldman, Noreen & Pebley, Anne, 2007. "Why do Hispanics in the USA report poor health?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 65(5), pages 990-1003, September.
- Schultz, Jennifer & O'Brien, A. Maureen & Tadesse, Bedassa, 2008. "Social capital and self-rated health: Results from the US 2006 social capital survey of one community," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 67(4), pages 606-617, August.
- Palosuo, Hannele & Uutela, Antti & Zhuravleva, Irina & Lakomova, Nina, 1998. "Social patterning of ill health in Helsinki and Moscow: Results from a comparative survey in 1991," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 46(9), pages 1121-1136, May.
- Benjamins, Maureen Reindl & Hummer, Robert A. & Eberstein, Isaac W. & Nam, Charles B., 2004. "Self-reported health and adult mortality risk: An analysis of cause-specific mortality," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 59(6), pages 1297-1306, September.
- Fýlkesnes, Knut & Førde, Olav Helge, 1992. "Determinants and dimensions involved in self-evaluation of health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 271-279, August.
- Baron-Epel, Orna & Kaplan, Giora & Haviv-Messika, Amalia & Tarabeia, Jalal & Green, Manfred S. & Nitzan Kaluski, Dorit, 2005. "Self-reported health as a cultural health determinant in Arab and Jewish Israelis: MABAT--National Health and Nutrition Survey 1999-2001," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 61(6), pages 1256-1266, September.
- repec:aph:ajpbhl:10.2105/ajph.86.12.1798_7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hendrik JÃ¼rges & Mauricio Avendano & Johan Mackenbach, 2007. "How comparable are different measures of self-rated health? Evidence from five European countries," MEA discussion paper series 07137, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
- Franks, Peter & Gold, Marthe R. & Fiscella, Kevin, 2003. "Sociodemographics, self-rated health, and mortality in the US," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 56(12), pages 2505-2514, June.
- Appels, A. & Bosma, H. & Grabauskas, V. & Gostautas, A. & Sturmans, F., 1996. "Self-rated health and mortality in a Lithuanian and a Dutch population," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 42(5), pages 681-689, March.
- Desesquelles, Aline F. & Egidi, Viviana & Salvatore, Michele A., 2009. "Why do Italian people rate their health worse than French people do? An exploration of cross-country differentials of self-rated health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 68(6), pages 1124-1128, March.
- Hendrik Jürges, 2007. "True health vs response styles: exploring cross-country differences in self-reported health," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(2), pages 163-178.
- repec:aph:ajpbhl:1982:72:8:800-808_7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Leinonen, Raija & Heikkinen, Eino & Jylhä, Marja, 2001. "Predictors of decline in self-assessments of health among older people -- a 5-year longitudinal study," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 52(9), pages 1329-1341, May.
- Manderbacka, Kristiina & Kåreholt, Ingemar & Martikainen, Pekka & Lundberg, Olle, 2003. "The effect of point of reference on the association between self-rated health and mortality," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 56(7), pages 1447-1452, April.
- Smith, Anthony M. A. & Shelley, Julia M. & Dennerstein, Lorraine, 1994. "Self-rated health: Biological continuum or social discontinuity?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 77-83, July.
More about this item
KeywordsMortality Cognition Self-assessment Interoception Symptoms Biology Self-rated health Review;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:69:y:2009:i:3:p:307-316. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.