Perceived neighbourhood context, disability onset and old age
National household and individual level data are used to explore perceived neighbourhood characteristics (PNC) and neighbourhood social participation (NSP) associations with later life disability onset (DO). The sample includes 3011 older people, with 8128 observations between 1995 and 2001. Three logistic regression models are developed. Model 1 – PNC is associated with DO (OR=1.065). Model 2 – NSP is associated with DO (OR=0.613). Model 3 – NSP does not buffer against PNCs in old age DO (OR=1.063). With growing emphasis on community care, harmful and protective neighbourhood roles must be considered when developing policy and health initiatives for old age disability.
Volume (Year): 40 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620175|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Freedman, Vicki A. & Grafova, Irina B. & Schoeni, Robert F. & Rogowski, Jeannette, 2008. "Neighborhoods and disability in later life," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 66(11), pages 2253-2267, June.
- Carlos F. Mendes de Leon & Deborah T. Gold & Thomas A. Glass & Lori Kaplan & Linda K. George, 2001. "Disability as a Function of Social Networks and Support in Elderly African Americans and Whites," Journals of Gerontology: Series B, Gerontological Society of America, vol. 56(3), pages S179-S190.
- Powdthavee, Nattavudh, 2008. "Putting a price tag on friends, relatives, and neighbours: Using surveys of life satisfaction to value social relationships," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1459-1480, August.
- Stuck, Andreas E. & Walthert, Jutta M. & Nikolaus, Thorsten & Büla, Christophe J. & Hohmann, Christoph & Beck, John C., 1999. "Risk factors for functional status decline in community-living elderly people: a systematic literature review," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 445-469, February.
- Bowling, Ann & Stafford, Mai, 2007. "How do objective and subjective assessments of neighbourhood influence social and physical functioning in older age? Findings from a British survey of ageing," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 64(12), pages 2533-2549, June.
- Matthews, Ruth J. & Smith, Lucy K. & Hancock, Ruth M. & Jagger, Carol & Spiers, Nicola A., 2005. "Socioeconomic factors associated with the onset of disability in older age: a longitudinal study of people aged 75 years and over," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 61(7), pages 1567-1575, October.
- Gannon, Brenda & Nolan, Brian, 2007. "The impact of disability transitions on social inclusion," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 64(7), pages 1425-1437, April.
- Kelly M. Everard & Helen W. Lach & Edwin B. Fisher & M. Carolyn Baum, 2000. "Relationship of Activity and Social Support to the Functional Health of Older Adults," Journals of Gerontology: Series B, Gerontological Society of America, vol. 55(4), pages S208-S212.
- Ziersch, Anna M & Baum, Fran E & MacDougall, Colin & Putland, Christine, 2005. "Neighbourhood life and social capital: the implications for health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 71-86, January.
- Cattell, Vicky, 2001. "Poor people, poor places, and poor health: the mediating role of social networks and social capital," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 52(10), pages 1501-1516, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceco:v:40:y:2011:i:5:p:631-636. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.