Underinvestment and the design of performance-sensitive debt
This paper examines the investment decision of a firm that uses performance-sensitive debt (PSD) financing. Using a real-option model of investment, we show that PSD can mitigate the well-known underinvestment problem (Myers, 1977) because of its risk-compensating nature. We also show how to design the PSD so that the underinvestment incentive is completely eliminated, thus reducing the “underinvestment” agency cost to zero. Finally, we show how to identify the optimal leverage ratio with PSD financing. Because of the complexity of the model, the results are illustrated with numerical solutions. However, the results are quite robust, and are consistent over a wide range of parameter values. The main results are (i) the “optimal” performance-sensitivity level (i.e., that eliminates underinvestment) can be significantly larger than zero, which implies that PSD is superior to the traditional fixed-coupon debt and thus provides a rationale for the use of PSD; (ii) using PSD rather than fixed-coupon financing can increase shareholder wealth by economically significant amounts; and (iii) the optimal performance-sensitivity level is an increasing function of debt level and a decreasing function of earnings growth rate and investment cost, hence firms/projects with high debt level and low earnings growth rate and investment cost are more likely to benefit from using PSD rather than the traditional fixed-coupon debt.
Volume (Year): 37 (2015)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620165|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dirk Hackbarth & David C. Mauer, 2012. "Optimal Priority Structure, Capital Structure, and Investment," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 25(3), pages 747-796.
- Gregor Andrade & Steven N. Kaplan, 1998.
"How Costly is Financial (Not Economic) Distress? Evidence from Highly Leveraged Transactions that Became Distressed,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 53(5), pages 1443-1493, October.
- Gregor Andrade & Steven N. Kaplan, 1997. "How Costly is Financial (not Economic) Distress? Evidence from Highly Leveraged Transactions that Became Distressed," NBER Working Papers 6145, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Avinash K. Dixit & Robert S. Pindyck, 1994. "Investment under Uncertainty," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 5474.
- Shibata, Takashi & Nishihara, Michi, 2012. "Investment timing under debt issuance constraint," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 981-991.
- Sergei A. Davydenko & Ilya A. Strebulaev & Xiaofei Zhao, 2012. "A Market-Based Study of the Cost of Default," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 25(10), pages 2959-2999.
- Christian Riis Flor, 2008. "Capital Structure and Assets: Effects of an Implicit Collateral," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 14(2), pages 347-373.
- Brander, James A. & Lewis, Tracy R., 1986. "Oligopoly and Financial Structure: The Limited Liability Effect," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 956-970, December.
- Mauer, David C. & Sarkar, Sudipto, 2005. "Real options, agency conflicts, and optimal capital structure," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 1405-1428, June.
- Lambrecht, Bart M, 2001. "The Impact of Debt Financing on Entry and Exit in a Duopoly," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(3), pages 765-804.
- Wong, Kit Pong, 2009. "The effects of abandonment options on operating leverage and investment timing," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 162-171, January.
- Suresh Sundaresan & Neng Wang, 2007. "Investment under Uncertainty with Strategic Debt Service," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 256-261, May.
- Myklebust, Tor Åge, 2012. "Performance Sensitive Debt - Investment and Financing Incentives," Discussion Papers 2012/7, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Gustavo Manso & Bruno Strulovici & Alexei Tchistyi, 2010. "Performance-Sensitive Debt," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(5), pages 1819-1854.
- Lando, David & Mortensen, Allan, 2004. "On the Pricing of Step-Up Bonds in the European Telecom Sector," Working Papers 2004-9, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Finance.
- Asquith, Paul & Beatty, Anne & Weber, Joseph, 2005. "Performance pricing in bank debt contracts," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-3), pages 101-128, December.
- Mao, Connie X., 2003. "Interaction of Debt Agency Problems and Optimal Capital Structure: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(02), pages 399-423, June.
- Lin, Jyh-Horng, 2000. "A contingent claim analysis of a rate-setting financial intermediary," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 375-386, October.
- Mjøs, Aksel & Myklebust, Tor Åge & Persson, Svein-Arne, 2011. "On the Pricing of Performance Sensitive Debt," Discussion Papers 2011/5, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics, revised 07 May 2012.
- Bhanot, Karan & Mello, Antonio S., 2006. "Should corporate debt include a rating trigger?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 69-98, January.
- Korkeamaki, Timo & Moore, William T., 2004. "Capital investment timing and convertible debt financing," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 75-85.
- Christensen, Peter Ove & Flor, Christian Riis & Lando, David & Miltersen, Kristian R., 2014. "Dynamic capital structure with callable debt and debt renegotiations," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 644-661.
- Koziol, Christian & Lawrenz, Jochen, 2010. "Optimal design of rating-trigger step-up bonds: Agency conflicts versus asymmetric information," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 182-204, April.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reveco:v:37:y:2015:i:c:p:240-253. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.