Longitudinal trends in networks of university-industry-government relations in South Korea: The role of programmatic incentives
This study examines the longitudinal trend of systemness in networked research relations in South Korea using a triple helix (TH) indicator of university-industry-government (UIG) relations. The data were harvested from the Science Citation Index (SCI) and its counterparts in the social sciences (SSCI) and the arts and humanities (A&HCI). The total number of Korean SCI publications has grown rapidly since 1965. However, the TH indicator shows that the network dynamics have varied considerably according to the research policies of the national government. The collaboration patterns, as measured by co-authorship relations in the SCI noticeably increased, with some variation, from the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s. However, inter-institutional collaboration in the first decade of the 21st century was negatively influenced by the new national science and technology (S&T) research policies that evaluated domestic scientists and research groups based on their international publication numbers rather than on the level of cooperation among academic, private, and public domains. The results reveal that Korea has failed to boost its national research capacity by neglecting the network effects in science, technology, and industry.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leydesdorff, Loet & Fritsch, Michael, 2006.
"Measuring the knowledge base of regional innovation systems in Germany in terms of a Triple Helix dynamics,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1538-1553, December.
- Leydesdorff, Loet & Fritsch, Michael, 2005. "Measuring the Knowledge Base of Regional Innovation Systems in Germany in terms of a Triple Helix Dynamics," Freiberg Working Papers 2005,10, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Leydesdorff, Loet & Dolfsma, Wilfred & Van der Panne, Gerben, 2006. "Measuring the knowledge base of an economy in terms of triple-helix relations among 'technology, organization, and territory'," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 181-199, March.
- Dolfsma, W.A. & Leydesdorff, L. & van der Panne, G., 2004. "Measuring the Knowledge Base of an Economy in terms of Triple-Helix Relations among 'Technology, Organization, and Territory'," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2004-034-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- W. Garner & William McGill, 1956. "The relation between information and variance analyses," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 21(3), pages 219-228, September.
- William McGill, 1954. "Multivariate information transmission," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 19(2), pages 97-116, June.
- Carlsson, Bo, 2006. "Internationalization of innovation systems: A survey of the literature," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 56-67, February.
- Etzkowitz, Henry & Brisolla, Sandra N., 1999. "Failure and success: the fate of industrial policy in Latin America and South East Asia," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 337-350, April.
- Mahmood, Ishtiaq P. & Singh, Jasjit, 2003. "Technological dynamism in Asia," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1031-1054, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:respol:v:39:y:2010:i:5:p:640-649. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.