Implementing R&D policies: an analysis of Spain's pharmaceutical research program
Using detailed firm-level data, we analyze Spain’s Pharmaceutical Research Program, and find differences between the ex ante announced evaluation criteria and their ex post implementation. By studying the program’s implementation, we also uncover that the apparent discrimination against non-European firms is due to the heavy penalty placed on not having local production plants. In this sense the R&D support program works in part as a production support program. Our analysis suggests that the design of public R&D programs cannot be judged exclusively on their results. Analyzing the implementation stage is equally important.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gambardella, Alfonso & Orsenigo, Luigi & Pammolli, Fabio, 2000. "Global Competitiveness in Pharmaceuticals: A European Perspective," MPRA Paper 15965, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Klette, T.J. & Moen, J. & Griliches, Z., 1999. "Do Subsidies to Commercial R&D Reduce Market Failures? Microeconometric Evaluation Studies," Papers 16/99, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Stephen Martin & John T. Scott, 1999.
"The Nature of Innovation Market Failure and the Design of Public Support for Private Innovation,"
CIE Discussion Papers
1999-02, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Martin, Stephen & Scott, John T., 2000. "The nature of innovation market failure and the design of public support for private innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 437-447, April.
- Hall, Bronwyn & Van Reenen, John, 2000. "How effective are fiscal incentives for R&D? A review of the evidence," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 449-469, April.
- Manuel Trajtenberg, 2002.
"Government Support for Commercial R&D: Lessons from the Israeli Experience,"
in: Innovation Policy and the Economy, Volume 2, pages 79-134
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Trajtenberg, M., 2001. "Government Support of Commercial R&D: Lessons from the Israeli Experience," Papers 2001-8, Tel Aviv.
- Stéphane Jacobzone, 2000. "Pharmaceutical Policies in OECD Countries: Reconciling Social and Industrial Goals," OECD Labour Market and Social Policy Occasional Papers 40, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:respol:v:33:y:2004:i:10:p:1493-1507. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.