Does trade liberalization increase global pollution?
In this paper we consider a simple duopoly market in which a home firm and a foreign firm use labor to produce an identical product and supply it to the home market. Firms emit pollution as a by-product of production. We show conditions under which international trade liberalization decreases (increases) the global pollution.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chi-Chur Chao & Eden S. H. Yu, 2014.
"TRIMs, Environmental Taxes, and Foreign Investment,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: TRADE-RELATED INVESTMENT MEASURES Theory and Applications, chapter 3, pages 41-60
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Chi-Chur Chao & Eden S.H. Yu, 2000. "TRIMs, environmental taxes, and foreign investment," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(3), pages 799-817, August.
- Kennedy Peter W., 1994. "Equilibrium Pollution Taxes in Open Economies with Imperfect Competition," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 49-63, July.
- Chao, Chi-Chur & Yu, Eden S.H., 2007. "Trade liberalization, foreign ownership, and the environment in a small open economy," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 471-477.
- McGuire, Martin C., 1982. "Regulation, factor rewards, and international trade," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 335-354, April.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A, 2000. "On the Design of International Environmental Agreements for Identical and Heterogeneous Developing Countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(3), pages 560-83, July.
- Benchekroun, Hassan & van Long, Ngo, 1998.
"Efficiency inducing taxation for polluting oligopolists,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 325-342, November.
- Hassan Benchekroun & Ngo Van Long, 1997. "Efficiency Inducing Taxation for Polluting Oligopolists," CIRANO Working Papers 97s-21, CIRANO.
- Lopez Ramon, 1994. "The Environment as a Factor of Production: The Effects of Economic Growth and Trade Liberalization," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 163-184, September.
- Chander, Parkash & Khan, M. Ali, 2001.
"International treaties on trade and global pollution,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 303-324, December.
- CHANDER, Parkash & KHAN, Ali, 1999. "International treaties on trade and global pollution," CORE Discussion Papers 1999003, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pethig, Rudiger, 1976. "Pollution, welfare, and environmental policy in the theory of Comparative Advantage," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 160-169, February.
- Brian R. Copeland & M. Scott Taylor, 1994. "North-South Trade and the Environment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(3), pages 755-787.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:resene:v:33:y:2011:i:1:p:172-178. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.