Energy issues and renewables for sustainable development in Turkey
Energy is an essential factor to achieve sustainable development. So, countries striving to this end are seeking to reassess their energy systems with a view towards planning energy programs and strategies in line with sustainable development goals and objectives. As would be expected, the rapid expansion of energy production and consumption has brought with it a wide range of environmental issues at the local, regional and global levels. Renewable energy technologies of wind, biofuels, solar thermal and photovoltaics are finally showing maturity and the ultimate promise of cost competitiveness. With respect to global environmental issues, Turkey's carbon dioxide emissions have grown along with its energy consumption. States have played a leading role in protecting the environment by reducing emissions of greenhouse gases. In this regard, renewable energy resources appear to be the one of the most efficient and effective solutions for clean and sustainable energy development in Turkey. Turkey's geographical location has several advantages for extensive use of most of these renewable energy sources.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 14 (2010)
Issue (Month): 9 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaygusuz, K. & Türker, M.F., 2002. "Biomass energy potential in Turkey," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 661-678.
- Bilen, K. & Ozyurt, O. & BakIrcI, K. & KarslI, S. & Erdogan, S. & YIlmaz, M. & ComaklI, O., 2008. "Energy production, consumption, and environmental pollution for sustainable development: A case study in Turkey," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 1529-1561, August.
- Kaygusuz, Kamil & Kaygusuz, Abdullah, 2002. "Renewable energy and sustainable development in Turkey," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 431-453.
- Kaygusuz, Kamil, 2009. "Energy and environmental issues relating to greenhouse gas emissions for sustainable development in Turkey," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 253-270, January.
- Yuksek, Omer & Komurcu, Murat Ihsan & Yuksel, Ibrahim & Kaygusuz, Kamil, 2006. "The role of hydropower in meeting Turkey's electric energy demand," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(17), pages 3093-3103, November.
- Kaygusuz, Kamil & Kaygusuz, Abdullah, 2004. "Geothermal energy in Turkey: the sustainable future," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 8(6), pages 545-563, December.
- AkpInar, Adem & Kömürcü, Murat Ihsan & Kankal, Murat & Özölçer, Ismail HakkI & Kaygusuz, Kamil, 2008. "Energy situation and renewables in Turkey and environmental effects of energy use," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(8), pages 2013-2039, October.
- Toklu, E. & Güney, M.S. & IsIk, M. & ComaklI, O. & Kaygusuz, K., 2010. "Energy production, consumption, policies and recent developments in Turkey," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 1172-1186, May.
- Bilgen, Selçuk & Keles, Sedat & Kaygusuz, Abdullah & SarI, Ahmet & Kaygusuz, Kamil, 2008. "Global warming and renewable energy sources for sustainable development: A case study in Turkey," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 372-396, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:14:y:2010:i:9:p:2976-2985. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.