Small hydropower stations in Greece: The local people's attitudes in a mountainous prefecture
During the last years, it has become evident that operation of hydropower stations creates discussions and different views on the local communities. Especially, although the issue of operation of small hydropower (SHP) stations or plants is of considerable interest in Greece, almost no study has been conducted to investigate the current status of Greek citizens' attitudes towards utilization of the available hydropower potential through SHP. The present study, therefore, aims to examine in the prefecture of Ioannina, Greece, the local people's attitudes on operation of SHP stations in connection with the increased public interest for environmental and social dimensions of small hydropower stations, and to determine how these attitudes change with respect to various factors.
Volume (Year): 14 (2010)
Issue (Month): 9 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaldellis, J. K. & Vlachou, D. S. & Korbakis, G., 2005. "Techno-economic evaluation of small hydro power plants in Greece: a complete sensitivity analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(15), pages 1969-1985, October.
- Cai, Jing & Jiang, Zhigang, 2010. "Energy consumption patterns by local residents in four nature reserves in the subtropical broadleaved forest zone of China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 828-834, February.
- Wustenhagen, Rolf & Wolsink, Maarten & Burer, Mary Jean, 2007. "Social acceptance of renewable energy innovation: An introduction to the concept," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 2683-2691, May.
- Frey, Gary W. & Linke, Deborah M., 2002. "Hydropower as a renewable and sustainable energy resource meeting global energy challenges in a reasonable way," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(14), pages 1261-1265, November.
- Purohit, Pallav, 2008. "Small hydro power projects under clean development mechanism in India: A preliminary assessment," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 2000-2015, June.
- Sardianou, Eleni, 2007. "Estimating energy conservation patterns of Greek households," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 3778-3791, July.
- Sternberg, R., 2010. "Hydropower's future, the environment, and global electricity systems," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 713-723, February.
- Yuksek, Omer & Komurcu, Murat Ihsan & Yuksel, Ibrahim & Kaygusuz, Kamil, 2006. "The role of hydropower in meeting Turkey's electric energy demand," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(17), pages 3093-3103, November.
- Nouni, M.R. & Mullick, S.C. & Kandpal, T.C., 2006. "Techno-economics of micro-hydro projects for decentralized power supply in India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1161-1174, July.
- Llera Sastresa, Eva & Usón, Alfonso Aranda & Bribián, Ignacio Zabalza & Scarpellini, Sabina, 2010. "Local impact of renewables on employment: Assessment methodology and case study," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 679-690, February.
- Katinas, Vladislovas & Markevicius, Antanas, 2006. "Promotional policy and perspectives of usage renewable energy in Lithuania," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 771-780, May.
- Kaldellis, J.K., 2007. "The contribution of small hydro power stations to the electricity generation in Greece: Technical and economic considerations," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 2187-2196, April.
- Greenberg, Michael, 2009. "Energy sources, public policy, and public preferences: Analysis of US national and site-specific data," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 3242-3249, August.
- Balat, Havva, 2007. "A renewable perspective for sustainable energy development in Turkey: The case of small hydropower plants," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(9), pages 2152-2165, December.
- Kaldellis, J.K., 2008. "Critical evaluation of the hydropower applications in Greece," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 218-234, January.
- Wolsink, Maarten, 2007. "Wind power implementation: The nature of public attitudes: Equity and fairness instead of 'backyard motives'," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 1188-1207, August.
- del Río, Pablo & Burguillo, Mercedes, 2009. "An empirical analysis of the impact of renewable energy deployment on local sustainability," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(6-7), pages 1314-1325, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:14:y:2010:i:9:p:2492-2510. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.