Perspectives on biodiesel as a sustainable fuel
The present global economy downturn affects every corner of the world including the vehicular fuel industry. This paper highlights some of the perspectives for the biodiesel industry to thrive as an alternative fuel, while discussing benefits and limitations of biodiesel. This includes the improvement of the conversion technology to achieve a sustainable process at cheaper cost, environmentally benign and cleaner emissions, diversification of products derived from glycerol, and policy and government incentives. More specifically, an overview is given on making the production process more economical by developing high conversion and low cost catalysts from renewable sources, and utilizing waste oil as feedstock. Further emphasis is given on the need for public education and awareness for the use and benefits of biodiesel, while promoting policies that will not only endorse the industry, but also promote effective land management.
Volume (Year): 14 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sumathi, S. & Chai, S.P. & Mohamed, A.R., 2008. "Utilization of oil palm as a source of renewable energy in Malaysia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(9), pages 2404-2421, December.
- Kahn, James Randall & Franceschi, Dina, 2006. "Beyond Kyoto: A tax-based system for the global reduction of greenhouse gas emissions," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 778-787, July.
- rahimi, Hadi & Ghobadian, Barat & Yusaf, Talal & Najafi, Gholamhasan & Khatamifar, Mahdi, 2009. "Diesterol: An environment-friendly IC engine fuel," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 335-342.
- Tan, K.T. & Lee, K.T. & Mohamed, A.R. & Bhatia, S., 2009. "Palm oil: Addressing issues and towards sustainable development," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 420-427, February.
- Adhikari, Sushil & Fernando, Sandun D. & Haryanto, Agus, 2008. "Hydrogen production from glycerin by steam reforming over nickel catalysts," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 1097-1100.
- Sharma, Y.C. & Singh, B., 2009. "Development of biodiesel: Current scenario," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(6-7), pages 1646-1651, August.
- Murugesan, A. & Umarani, C. & Subramanian, R. & Nedunchezhian, N., 2009. "Bio-diesel as an alternative fuel for diesel engines--A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 653-662, April.
- Wassell, Charles Jr. & Dittmer, Timothy P., 2006. "Are subsidies for biodiesel economically efficient?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3993-4001, December.
- Lam, Man Kee & Tan, Kok Tat & Lee, Keat Teong & Mohamed, Abdul Rahman, 2009. "Malaysian palm oil: Surviving the food versus fuel dispute for a sustainable future," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(6-7), pages 1456-1464, August.
- Hossain, A.K. & Davies, P.A., 2010. "Plant oils as fuels for compression ignition engines: A technical review and life-cycle analysis," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 1-13.
- Enweremadu, C.C. & Mbarawa, M.M., 2009. "Technical aspects of production and analysis of biodiesel from used cooking oil--A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(9), pages 2205-2224, December.
- Gui, M.M. & Lee, K.T. & Bhatia, S., 2008. "Feasibility of edible oil vs. non-edible oil vs. waste edible oil as biodiesel feedstock," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 1646-1653.
- Murugesan, A. & Umarani, C. & Chinnusamy, T.R. & Krishnan, M. & Subramanian, R. & Neduzchezhain, N., 2009. "Production and analysis of bio-diesel from non-edible oils--A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 825-834, May.
- Yee, Kian Fei & Tan, Kok Tat & Abdullah, Ahmad Zuhairi & Lee, Keat Teong, 2009. "Life cycle assessment of palm biodiesel: Revealing facts and benefits for sustainability," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(Supplemen), pages S189-S196, November.
- Sarin, Amit & Arora, Rajneesh & Singh, N.P. & Sarin, Rakesh & Malhotra, R.K. & Kundu, K., 2009. "Effect of blends of Palm-Jatropha-Pongamia biodiesels on cloud point and pour point," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2016-2021.
- Hoekman, S. Kent, 2009. "Biofuels in the U.S. – Challenges and Opportunities," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 14-22.
- Abdullah, A.Z. & Salamatinia, B. & Mootabadi, H. & Bhatia, S., 2009. "Current status and policies on biodiesel industry in Malaysia as the world's leading producer of palm oil," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5440-5448, December.
- Hammond, G.P. & Kallu, S. & McManus, M.C., 2008. "Development of biofuels for the UK automotive market," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 85(6), pages 506-515, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:14:y:2010:i:4:p:1312-1320. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.