The link between exchange rate uncertainty and Israeli exports to the US: 2SLS and cointegration approaches
Although the effect of uncertainty on economic behavior is of primary concern to both economists and policymakers, its theoretical and empirical treatment in the literature has led to inconclusive results. Indeed, the results of the various empirical studies are highly dependent on the statistical method employed and the proxy used for uncertainty. Using quarterly data for the period 1997-2010:1, this study examines the effect of exchange rate uncertainty on Israeli exports of goods to the US and finds support for the hypothesis that uncertainty has a negative and dominant effect on exports, in both the short run and the long run. Two important contributions are made to the empirical literature: the use of 2SLS in order to address the problem of simultaneity between the exchange rate and exports in this context and the testing of three uncertainty proxies. The use of Israeli data is also relevant to the empirical evidence for developed countries, since Israeli exports of goods to the US consist primarily of products with high value added in production. Contrary to theoretical claims in the literature, having a large proportion of high-value-added goods does not appear to significantly reduce the negative effect of uncertainty.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olugbenga Onafowora & Oluwole Owoye, 2008. "Exchange rate volatility and export growth in Nigeria," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(12), pages 1547-1556.
- Pål Boug & Andreas Fagereng, 2010.
"Exchange rate volatility and export performance: a cointegrated VAR approach,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(7), pages 851-864.
- Pål Boug & Andreas Fagereng, 2007. "Exchange rate volatility and export performance: A cointegrated VAR approach," Discussion Papers 522, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Barkoulas, John T. & Baum, Christopher F. & Caglayan, Mustafa, 2002. "Exchange rate effects on the volume and variability of trade flows," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 481-496, August.
- Caglayan, M. & Baum, C.F. & Barkoulas, J.T., 1998. "Exchange Rate Effects on the Volume and Variability of Trade Flows," Papers 1998/05, Koc University.
- John Barkoulas & Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan, 1998. "Exchange Rate Effects on the Volume and Variability of Trade Flows," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 405., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 12 Sep 2001.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Neslihan Ozkan, 2004. "Nonlinear effects of exchange rate volatility on the volume of bilateral exports," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 1-23.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Neslihan Ozkan, 2000. "Nonlinear Effects of Exchange Rate Volatility on the Volume of Bilateral Exports," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 488, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 30 Jul 2002.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1989. "Entry and Exit Decisions under Uncertainty," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 620-638, June.
- Dixit, A., 1988. "Entry And Exit Decisions Under Uncertainty," Papers 91, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- McKenzie, Michael D, 1999. " The Impact of Exchange Rate Volatility on International Trade Flows," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 71-106, February.
- Klaassen, Franc, 2004. "Why is it so difficult to find an effect of exchange rate risk on trade?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 817-839, September.
- Klaassen, F.J.G.M., 1999. "Why is it so Difficult to Find An Effect of Exchange Rate Risk on Trade?," Discussion Paper 1999-73, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Franc Klaassen, 2000. "Why is it so Difficult to Find an Effect of Exchange Rate Risk on Trade?," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0133, Econometric Society.
- McKenzie, Michael D. & Brooks, Robert D., 1997. "The impact of exchange rate volatility on German-US trade flows," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 73-87, April.
- Arize, Augustine C. & Osang, Thomas & Slottje, Daniel J., 2008. "Exchange-rate volatility in Latin America and its impact on foreign trade," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 33-44.
- Leonardo Iacovone & BeataS. Javorcik, 2010. "Multi-Product Exporters: Product Churning, Uncertainty and Export Discoveries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(544), pages 481-499, 05.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee, 2002. "Does black market exchange rate volatility deter the trade flows? Iranian experience," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(18), pages 2249-2255.
- Qian, Ying & Varangis, Panos, 1994. "Does Exchange Rate Volatility Hinder Export Growth?," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 371-396.
- Taufiq Choudhry, 2008. "Exchange rate volatility and United Kingdom trade: evidence from Canada, Japan and New Zealand," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 607-619, November.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee, 2007. "Exchange rate volatility and trade flows: a review article," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(3), pages 211-255, August.
- Choudhry, Taufiq, 2005. "Exchange rate volatility and the United States exports: evidence from Canada and Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 51-71, March.
- Asseery, A. & Peel, D. A., 1991. "The effects of exchange rate volatility on exports : Some new estimates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 173-177, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reecon:v:65:y:2011:i:2:p:100-109. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.