A production rate control policy for stochastic repair and remanufacturing systems
We consider the control of a manufacturing system responding to planned demand at the end of the expected life of each individual piece of equipment and unplanned demand triggered by a major equipment failure. The difficulty of controlling this type of production system resides in the variable nature of the remanufacturing process. In practice, remanufacturing operations for planned demand can be executed at different rates, referring to different component replacement and repair strategies. We formulate this problem as a multi-level control problem and propose a suboptimal control policy. The proposed control policy is described by inventory thresholds triggering the use of different execution modes. Determination of the control policy parameters is based on parameter optimization of analytical cost expressions. A numerical example based on a real case is presented. Our analysis demonstrates that the use of the proposed control approach can lead to a significant reduction in the total average cost, as compared to current practices.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mahadevan, B. & Pyke, D.F. & Fleischmann, M., 2002.
"Periodic Review, Push Inventory Policies for Remanufacturing,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2002-35-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Mahadevan, B. & Pyke, David F. & Fleischmann, Moritz, 2003. "Periodic review, push inventory policies for remanufacturing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(3), pages 536-551, December.
- Inderfurth, Karl & van der Laan, Erwin, 2001. "Leadtime effects and policy improvement for stochastic inventory control with remanufacturing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-3), pages 381-390, May.
- Guide, V. Daniel R. & Srivastava, Rajesh, 1997. "Repairable inventory theory: Models and applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 102(1), pages 1-20, October.
- Tang, Ou & Grubbstrom, Robert W., 2005. "Considering stochastic lead times in a manufacturing/remanufacturing system with deterministic demands and returns," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 285-300, January.
- Li, Jianzhi & González, Miguel & Zhu, Yun, 2009. "A hybrid simulation optimization method for production planning of dedicated remanufacturing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 286-301, February.
- Guide, V. Daniel R. & Souza, Gilvan C. & van der Laan, Erwin, 2005. "Performance of static priority rules for shared facilities in a remanufacturing shop with disassembly and reassembly," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 164(2), pages 341-353, July.
- Giutini, Ron & Gaudette, Kevin, 2003. "Remanufacturing: The next great opportunity for boosting US productivity," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 41-48.
- Fleischmann, Moritz & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, Jacqueline M. & Dekker, Rommert & van der Laan, Erwin & van Nunen, Jo A. E. E. & Van Wassenhove, Luk N., 1997. "Quantitative models for reverse logistics: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 1-17, November.
- Kiesmuller, G. P., 2003. "A new approach for controlling a hybrid stochastic manufacturing/remanufacturing system with inventories and different leadtimes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 62-71, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:121:y:2009:i:1:p:39-48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.