A maximum (non-extensive) entropy approach to equity options bid–ask spread
The cross-section of options bid–ask spreads with their strikes are modelled by maximising the Kaniadakis entropy. A theoretical model results with the bid–ask spread depending explicitly on the implied volatility; the probability of expiring at-the-money and an asymmetric information parameter (κ). Considering AIG as a test case for the period between January 2006 and October 2008, we find that information flows uniquely from the trading activity in the underlying asset to its derivatives. Suggesting that κ is possibly an option implied measure of the current state of trading liquidity in the underlying asset.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 392 (2013)
Issue (Month): 14 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. Borland & J. P. Bouchaud, 2004. "A Non-Gaussian Option Pricing Model with Skew," Papers cond-mat/0403022, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2004.
- Buchen, Peter W. & Kelly, Michael, 1996. "The Maximum Entropy Distribution of an Asset Inferred from Option Prices," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(01), pages 143-159, March.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Marco Avellaneda & Craig Friedman & Richard Holmes & Dominick Samperi, 1997. "Calibrating volatility surfaces via relative-entropy minimization," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(1), pages 37-64.
- Kaniadakis, G., 2001. "Non-linear kinetics underlying generalized statistics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 296(3), pages 405-425.
- Norden, Lars, 2003. "Asymmetric option price distribution and bid-ask quotes: consequences for implied volatility smiles," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(4-5), pages 423-441, December.
- F. Clementi & M. Gallegati & G. Kaniadakis, 2007.
"κ-generalized statistics in personal income distribution,"
The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems,
Springer, vol. 57(2), pages 187-193, 05.
- F. Clementi & M. Gallegati & G. Kaniadakis, 2006. "k-Generalized Statistics in Personal Income Distribution," Papers physics/0607293, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2007.
- David Easley & Maureen O'Hara & P.S. Srinivas, 1998. "Option Volume and Stock Prices: Evidence on Where Informed Traders Trade," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(2), pages 431-465, 04.
- Fabio Clementi & Mauro Gallegati & Giorgio Kaniadakis, 2012. "A new model of income distribution: the κ-generalized distribution," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 105(1), pages 63-91, January.
- Lisa Borland & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud, 2004. "A non-Gaussian option pricing model with skew," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(5), pages 499-514.
- Michael A. H. Dempster & Elena A. Medova & Seung W. Yang, 2007. "Empirical Copulas For Cdo Tranche Pricing Using Relative Entropy," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(04), pages 679-701.
- Cao, Melanie & Wei, Jason, 2010. "Option market liquidity: Commonality and other characteristics," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 20-48, February.
- Constantino Tsallis & Celia Anteneodo & Lisa Borland & Roberto Osorio, 2003. "Nonextensive statistical mechanics and economics," Papers cond-mat/0301307, arXiv.org.
- Tsallis, Constantino & Anteneodo, Celia & Borland, Lisa & Osorio, Roberto, 2003. "Nonextensive statistical mechanics and economics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 324(1), pages 89-100.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:392:y:2013:i:14:p:3051-3060. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.