Occupation times of the Ornstein–Uhlenbeck process: Functional PCA and evidence from electricity prices
We discuss the functional principal component analysis (FPCA) of the occupation times of the Ornstein–Uhlenbeck process. For the eigenvalue problem of the covariance operator of the occupation times we derive the corresponding integral equation in the large time limit and we solve numerically for the principal components. The formulation applies the path-integral approach of Feynman and Kac. The principal components are compared with those from empirical electricity price processes on energy markets. The results indicate that FPCA of the occupation times is a suitable tool in stochastic energy modeling to generate moderately-sized scenario trees.
Volume (Year): 391 (2012)
Issue (Month): 23 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik, et al, 1995. " Mean Reversion in Equilibrium Asset Prices: Evidence from the Futures Term Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 361-375, March.
- Jorion, Philippe & Sweeney, Richard J., 1996. "Mean reversion in real exchange rates: evidence and implications for forecasting," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 535-550, August.
- Bertram, William K., 2005. "A threshold model for Australian Stock Exchange equities," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 346(3), pages 561-576.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:391:y:2012:i:23:p:5818-5826. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.