Long-memory in an order-driven market
This paper introduces an order-driven market with heterogeneous investors, who submit limit or market orders according to their own trading rules. The trading rules are repeatedly updated via simple learning and adaptation of the investors. We analyze markets with and without learning and adaptation. The simulation results show that our model with learning and adaptation successfully replicates long-memories in trading volume, stock return volatility, and signs of market orders in an informationally efficient market. We also discuss why evolutionary dynamics are important in generating these features.
Volume (Year): 383 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Giulia Iori & Carl Chiarella, 2002. "A simple microstructure model of double auction markets," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 44, Society for Computational Economics.
- J. Doyne Farmer & Paolo Patelli & Ilija I. Zovko, 2003. "The Predictive Power of Zero Intelligence in Financial Markets," Papers cond-mat/0309233, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2004.
- Fabrizio Lillo & J. Doyne Farmer, 2003.
"The long memory of the efficient market,"
cond-mat/0311053, arXiv.org, revised Jul 2004.
- Lobato, Ignacio N & Velasco, Carlos, 2000. "Long Memory in Stock-Market Trading Volume," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(4), pages 410-27, October.
- Andrew W. Lo, 1989.
"Long-term Memory in Stock Market Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
2984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tauchen, George E & Pitts, Mark, 1983. "The Price Variability-Volume Relationship on Speculative Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 485-505, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:383:y:2007:i:1:p:85-89. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.