Price-dependent consumption externalities and non-existence of equilibria
We construct a concrete example of an exchange economy which admits no equilibria in the presence of price-dependent consumption externalities. In our example, agents form a finite atomless measure space . A reference coalition of each agent t at a price system p is the subset C(t,p)[subset of]T consisting of those agents whose income falls into a certain income range associated with t. The interdependence of the taste of agent t operates through a reference consumption vector [eta], which represents the aggregated effect on t's taste of the various consumption choices made by all agents in C(t,p). We choose , the mean consumption bundle of all agents in C(t,p), where denotes the assignment of a commodity bundle to agent s and where the measure (1/([mu][C(t,p)]))[mu] may be interpreted as the relative frequencies of contact that t makes with other members in C(t,p). In light of the law of large numbers, the above [eta] can be viewed as the consumption trend of the agents in C(t,p), which influences the taste of t.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard Cornet & Mihaela Topuzu, 2005.
"Existence of equilibria for economies with externalities and a measure space of consumers,"
Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 397-421, 08.
- Bernard Cornet & Mihaela Topuzu, 2005. "Existence Of Equilibria For Economies With Externalities And A Measure Space Of Consumers," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200505, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2005.
- Pollak, Robert A, 1978. "Endogenous Tastes in Demand and Welfare Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 374-79, May.
- Pollak, Robert A, 1976. "Interdependent Preferences," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(3), pages 309-20, June.
- Greenberg, Joseph & Shitovitz, Benyamin & Wieczorek, Andrzej, 1979. "Existence of equilibria in atomless production economies with price dependent preferences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 31-41, March.
- Schmeidler, David, 1969. "Competitive Equilibria in Markets with a Continuum of Traders and Incomplete Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(4), pages 578-85, October.
- Pollak, Robert A, 1977. "Price Dependent Preferences," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 64-75, March.
- Noguchi, Mitsunori, 2005. "Interdependent preferences with a continuum of agents," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 665-686, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:45:y:2009:i:3-4:p:205-211. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.