Existence of equilibria for economies with externalities and a measure space of consumers
This paper considers an exchange economy with a measure space of agents and consumption externalities, which take into account two possible external effects on consumers’ preferences: dependence upon prices and dependence upon other agents’ consumption. We first consider a model with a general externality mapping and we then treat the particular case of reference coalition externalities, in which the preferences of each agent a are influenced by prices and by the global or the mean consumption of the agents in finitely many (exogenously given) reference coalitions associated with agent a. Our paper provides existence results of equilibria in both models when consumers have transitive preferences. It extends in exchange economies the standard results by Aumann , Schmeidler , Hildenbrand , and previous results by Greenberg et al.  for price dependent preferences, Schmeidler  for fixed reference coalitions and Noguchi  for a more particular concept of reference coalitions. We also mention related results obtained independently by Balder . Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2005
Volume (Year): 26 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (08)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/199/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmeidler, David, 1969.
"Competitive Equilibria in Markets with a Continuum of Traders and Incomplete Preferences,"
Econometric Society, vol. 37(4), pages 578-585, October.
- SCHMEIDLER, David, "undated". "Competitive equilibria in markets with a continuum of traders and incomplete preferences," CORE Discussion Papers RP 62, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Khan, M. Ali & Vohra, Rajiv, 1984. "Equilibrium in abstract economies without ordered preferences and with a measure space of agents," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 133-142, October.
- Shafer, Wayne & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1975. "Equilibrium in abstract economies without ordered preferences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 345-348, December.
- Wayne Shafer & Hugo Sonnenschein, 1974. "Equilibrium in Abstract Economies Without Ordered Preferences," Discussion Papers 94, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Balder, Erik J., 2000. "Incompatibility of Usual Conditions for Equilibrium Existence in Continuum Economies without Ordered Preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 110-117, July.
- Hildenbrand, Werner, 1970. "Existence of Equilibria for Economies with Production and a Measure Space of Consumers," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(5), pages 608-623, September.
- Greenberg, Joseph & Shitovitz, Benyamin & Wieczorek, Andrzej, 1979. "Existence of equilibria in atomless production economies with price dependent preferences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 31-41, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)