A model of random matching
This paper presents a model of random matching between individuals chosen from large populations. We assume that the populations and the set of encounters are infinite but countable and that the encounters are i.i.d. random variables. Furthermore, the probability distribution on individuals according to which they are chosen for each encounter is 'uniform', which also implies that it is only finitely additive. Although the probability measure which governs the whole matching process also fails to be (fully) sigma-additive, it still retains enough continuity properties to allow for the use of the law of large numbers. This, in turn, guarantees that the aggregate process will (almost surely) behave 'nicely', i.e., that there will be no aggregate uncertainty.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1985. "The law of large numbers with a continuum of IID random variables," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 19-25, February.
- Itzhak Gilboa, 1989.
"Expectation and Variation in Multi-Period Decisions,"
- Gilboa, Itzhak, 1989. "Expectation and Variation in Multi-period Decisions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1153-1169, September.
- Itzhak Gilboa, 1987.
"Expected Utility with Purely Subjective Non-Additive Probabilities,"
- Gilboa, Itzhak, 1987. "Expected utility with purely subjective non-additive probabilities," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 65-88, February.
- Armstrong, Thomas E. & Richter, Marcel K., 1984. "The core-walras equivalence," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 116-151, June.
- Feldman, Mark & Gilles, Christian, 1985. "An expository note on individual risk without aggregate uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 26-32, February.
- Weiss, Ernst-August Jr., 1981. "Finitely additive exchange economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 221-240, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:21:y:1992:i:2:p:185-197. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.