Robust Comparative Statics in Large Dynamic Economies
We consider infinite horizon economies populated by a continuum of agents who are subject to idiosyncratic shocks. This framework contains models of saving and capital accumulation with incomplete markets in the spirit of works by Bewley, Aiyagari, and Huggett, and models of entry, exit and industry dynamics in the spirit of Hopenhayn's work as special cases. Robust and easy-to-apply comparative statics results are established with respect to exogenous parameters as well as various kinds of changes in the Markov processes governing the law of motion of the idiosyncratic shocks. These results complement the existing literature which uses simulations and numerical analysis to study this class of models and are illustrated using a number of examples.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||EFG IO ME|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lars Ljungqvist & Thomas J. Sargent, 2004. "Recursive Macroeconomic Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 026212274x, June.
- Hopenhayn, Hugo A, 1992. "Entry, Exit, and Firm Dynamics in Long Run Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(5), pages 1127-50, September.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2009.
"A Parsimonious Macroeconomic Model for Asset Pricing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 77(6), pages 1711-1750, November.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2009. "A parsimonious macroeconomic model for asset pricing," Staff Report 434, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2009. "A Parsimonious Macroeconomic Model for Asset Pricing," NBER Working Papers 15243, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1980. "Equilibrium in a Pure Currency Economy," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(2), pages 203-20, April.
- Mark Huggett, 2003.
"Precautionary Wealth Accumulation,"
gueconwpa~03-03-09, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Ericson, Richard & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82, January.
- Huggett, Mark, 1993. "The risk-free rate in heterogeneous-agent incomplete-insurance economies," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 17(5-6), pages 953-969.
- P. Diamond, 1980.
"Aggregate Demand Management in Search Equilibrium,"
268, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521335614 is not listed on IDEAS
- Corchon, Luis C., 1994. "Comparative statics for aggregative games the strong concavity case," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 151-165, December.
- Daron Acemoglu & Robert Shimer, 1999.
"Productivity Gains from Unemployment Insurance,"
NBER Working Papers
7352, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Al-Najjar, Nabil I., 2004. "Aggregation and the law of large numbers in large economies," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-35, April.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Shimer, Robert, 1999.
"Holdups and Efficiency with Search Frictions,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(4), pages 827-49, November.
- Hopenhayn, Hugo A & Prescott, Edward C, 1992. "Stochastic Monotonicity and Stationary Distributions for Dynamic Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(6), pages 1387-406, November.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Jensen, Martin Kaae, 2009.
"Aggregate Comparative Statics,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7254, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Shannon, Chris, 1995. "Weak and Strong Monotone Comparative Statics," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 209-27, March.
- Blume, Lawrence E., 1982. "New techniques for the study of stochastic equilibrium processes," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1-2), pages 61-70, January.
- Daron Acemoglu & Martin Kaae Jensen, 2012.
"Robust Comparative Statics in Large Dynamic Economies,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
786969000000000507, David K. Levine.
- Daron Acemoglu & Martin Kaae Jensen, 2012. "Robust Comparative Statics in Large Dynamic Economies," NBER Working Papers 18178, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Kaae Jensen, 2012. "Distributional Comparative Statics," Discussion Papers 12-08, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Feldman, Mark & Gilles, Christian, 1985. "An expository note on individual risk without aggregate uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 26-32, February.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1994. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415, July.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1994. "Comparing Equilibria," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 441-59, June.
- Leonard J Mirman & Olivier F. Morand & Kevin L. Reffett, 2004.
"A Qualitative Approach to Markovian Equilibrium in Infinite Horizon Economies with Capital,"
122247000000000224, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Mirman, Leonard J. & Morand, Olivier F. & Reffett, Kevin L., 2008. "A qualitative approach to Markovian equilibrium in infinite horizon economies with capital," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 75-98, March.
- Moen, Espen R, 1997.
"Competitive Search Equilibrium,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 385-411, April.
- John K.-H Quah, 2007. "The Comparative Statics of Constrained Optimization Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(2), pages 401-431, 03.
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1985. "The law of large numbers with a continuum of IID random variables," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 19-25, February.
- Aiyagari, S Rao, 1994.
"Uninsured Idiosyncratic Risk and Aggregate Saving,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(3), pages 659-84, August.
- Mortensen, Dale T, 1982. "Property Rights and Efficiency in Mating, Racing, and Related Games," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 968-79, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:18178. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.