Reducing the number of setups for CNC punch presses
Large computer numerical control (CNC) punch presses are widely used for punching holes in heavy gage sheet metals. The turret of such presses has limited tool capacity, and any tool changes require dismantling the turret. Dismantling and reloading the turret generally takes several hours and is the dominant element of the total flow time for a batch of sheet metals. Reducing the turret setup time requires judicious grouping of the required tool set. We formulated an integer program to obtain the minimum number of setups. However, since the problem is nondeterministic polynomial-time hard (NP-hard), we offer three heuristics to solve the problem. We compare solutions obtained from the three heuristics with their respective optimal solutions using three simulated data sets and an industrial data set.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Konak, Abdullah & Kulturel-Konak, Sadan & Azizoglu, Meral, 2008. "Minimizing the number of tool switching instants in Flexible Manufacturing Systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 298-307, December.
- Tang, Lixin & Wang, Gongshu, 2008. "Decision support system for the batching problems of steelmaking and continuous-casting production," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 976-991, December.
- Gribkovskaia, Irina V. & Kovalev, Sergey & Werner, Frank, 2010. "Batching for work and rework processes on dedicated facilities to minimize the makespan," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 522-527, December.
- Tang, Lixin & Zhao, Yufang, 2008. "Scheduling a single semi-continuous batching machine," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 992-1004, December.
- Koksalan, Murat & Burak Keha, Ahmet, 2003. "Using genetic algorithms for single-machine bicriteria scheduling problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 145(3), pages 543-556, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:41:y:2013:i:2:p:226-235. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.